Iris Doesn't Bloom

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello. I'm new here and hopeful someone can help me with a problem. I have a Blue Flag Iris planted as a bog plant in a two gallon hard container in about 6" of water. It has never bloomed. I added it to a new pond last spring and it appeared to grow well and looks otherwise healthy. I fertilized it when planted last year and added one Laguna fertilizer spike this spring. It gets full sun for about 5-6 hours per day. All of my other plants (Hardy lily, pickerel rush, and hyacinth) have bloomed quite well. Any ideas?

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Since it has never bloomed are you sure that it is a Blue Flag Iris. All of the 'Flag' iris are species and quite floriferous in Spring and Early Summer. They typically do not like standing water over the crown. Try either raising the plant or lowering the water level.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I bought a blue flag iris on ebay did not flower till 3 rd year. Gardening sometime takes a lot of patience. Your Iris is most likely growing a good root system.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
I'm not sure how much light does your iris have but I noted that my irises bloomed when it had much more sunlight. You can buy supplemental light for plants.

Also what's the status of the water coming from the pond? Does the water have fish in it?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Since it has never bloomed are you sure that it is a Blue Flag Iris. All of the 'Flag' iris are species and quite floriferous in Spring and Early Summer. They typically do not like standing water over the crown. Try either raising the plant or lowering the water level.

I purchased it from a reputable online site. All of the other plants I have bought from them have done well, but I really don't have any way to verify that it is blue flag. It was very small when got it and it has grown well and it certainly looks like the bearded iris I have in the yard. But it also does have at least 2" of water or more over the crown most of the time.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm not sure how much light does your iris have but I noted that my irises bloomed when it had much more sunlight. You can buy supplemental light for plants.

Also what's the status of the water coming from the pond? Does the water have fish in it?

Yes, I have goldfish.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Does it get enough sun and is it getting enough fertilizer from the pond only .

Reaction score
Country
United States
Does it get enough sun and is it getting enough fertilizer from the pond only .

It gets full sun from about 11 AM to 5 or 6 PM. I put one Laguna fertilizer spike in April. I have been afraid of overfertilizing since that was the correct amount for the size pot and it states "once per season" As to fertilizer from the pond, I do have fish and my algae growth has spiked a couple of times this season.

Ask a Question