Iris Ensata Royal Banner

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
So.. I thought my Iris was growing after I noticed green coming up from the bulb area but it kinda stalled out and when I was looking at it today one of the green stalks (is that what they’re called?) fell off and looks like it rotted or something? Does anyone know what might be happening? Too much fertilizer? My nitrate test came back with somewhere around 40-80 ppm (it’s hard to tell the difference on the reference card) or higher? I added the tabs that came with my plants then went back a couple of weeks later and put two of the Laguna 16-9-2 fertilizer spikes in there. The lilies and pickerel rush have really taken off but the Iris seems to be a dud..

66935624-D113-46BE-8A42-44FE445BDC13.jpeg

For those that are wondering, I have not added the fish yet and I'll make sure to get the nitrates down before I do! (y)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I have been doing a little reading and a lot of sources state to plant Iris in moist soil but they don't like being submerged very much which could explain why mine is not doing as well being totally submerged? I also noticed that those same sources recommend planting Iris in the late summer around August. I guess I'll have to put this one somewhere else or just move it to a different spot in my barrel liner and get another pickerel rush. I was wanting a plant that had some height to it and the pickerel rush I have in there seems to be doing quite well so that might be my best bet at this point.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8A
Country
United States
What kind of iris do you have. I know that certain types like being partially submerged and some don't. I bout Japanese iris and black gamecock iris from one of my local garden stores. I started both of them in my kitchen window in March. The gamecock turned to mush and got moldy. The Japanese Iris seemed to do well for a bit but just seemed to stop growing.
I ordered another gamecock from an online pond store and bot another from a big box store. Both are doing fine in the pond in their planters, as are some yellow flag iris that I acquired from the pond were I work. The Japanese iris has seem to have died off when I transplanted it outside. I am hoping it comes back when the weather gets hot.
I think the ones that turned to muss and rotted had just dried out at the store and that is why they died. This may be what happened to yours, also how deep under water were they?
As far as Iris go I have grown them before, and once they establish themselves they spread fast. The yellow flag at work stared as just a few plants here and their and now it is everywhere. Our maintenance guys have to thin them out every year now. So I don't feel guilty about acquiring some, their is no shortage.
Looked up the royal banner iris. It says to plant the rhizome two inches below the water line.

Last edited:

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Yes, what kind of iris? Not all “iris” are good for pond/bog growth. Some like moist conditions and some don’t. Also, the ones I have in my bog and/or pond specify that the roots should be submerged, but the crown part kept above water level (and I have no idea what kind I have).

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
It's an Iris Ensata Royal Banner (or Japanese Iris) and everything I've been reading the last couple of days say it tolerates moist soil so I probably have it submerged too deep and it's likely getting rhizome/root rot. I guess it's time to pull it up and see if I have a better spot for it than the barrel.. Will most likely replace with another pickerel rush.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8A
Country
United States
It's an Iris Ensata Royal Banner (or Japanese Iris) and everything I've been reading the last couple of days say it tolerates moist soil so I probably have it submerged too deep and it's likely getting rhizome/root rot. I guess it's time to pull it up and see if I have a better spot for it than the barrel.. Will most likely replace with another pickerel rush.
Maybe you could hang a pot from the side of the barrel with a hook or strap. A zip tie through the pot held by a screw in the outside of the barrel.
You could invert another pot and use it as a platform to set a pot for the iris on. I took two storage bins and cut holes out of each side so the fish can use them as a cave. I have my potted water hawthorn plants sitting on them now. Maybe you cut holes in the side of the pot and do the same.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Thanks @Mmathis , @Panzer13 , and @Lisak1 !! I have temporarily moved it to my bog filter in the big pond so the crown of the plant will stay above the water and will keep looking for a permanent home for it in the meantime. I replaced it with a pickerel rush since the other one in the barrel is doing so well so far.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Oh for sure! Irises like wet feet, but the crown needs to be above water.
lol mine have wet feet and wet crowns and grow great. I need to replant a few, think something tried to snack on them, yanked them out of the pot they were in.

Ask a Question