Iris for bog

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I just got 6 iris plants from a pond store . I was told by the person that took the order that the Japanese iris can only be planted in the bog for a short time and never in gravel. I have 2 that bloomed this year so I'm confused.
These are the ones I got-
Iris kaempferi- Edens Paintbrush
Iris laevigata- Mottled Beauty
Iris Louisana hybrid- Cyclamint Fuschia
Iris Louisana hybrid- Red Velvet Elvis
Iris laevigata- Rose Queen
Sea Wisp- Japanese iris

Does anyone grow any of these? I don't want to plant them where they won't survive. Planning on putting them in my pea gravel bog. Thanks

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I'm curious about Japanese Iris too.

I know that I bought so many iris and put them in the bog, not all made it. I notice that any Iris that has wide leaves (like bearded iris) wont make it in the bog. And after I put them over the gravel, above water level, some that were struggling are doing better now.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have some variegated Japanese iris, light purple flowers, in pea gravel they are doing great. Also one of the deep purple iris is growing fine in the bog.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
True Japanese Iris , Iris ensata, typically will only withstand water over the crown of the plant in Spring as happens in its natural habitat. They will grow year round in rich soil that is constantly wet as long as the crown remains dry. These are some of the few plants that I only ever grew in containers.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have a variegated Japanese iris a few are in a container with kitty litter, a few floating in the water, sort of floating and a few in the bog. They are all growing fine. I need to find the tag for it.

It looks like this web picture
upload_2016-10-5_17-54-43.png

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
OMG- the company I ordered from had 6 that I thought were stunning. I now need to dig up my entire yard to plant irises!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Japanese iris have about the best combination of features. Tough as boots, dense and slow spreading. Spectacular blooms.

Can't say they mind being in a pond all Winter, not sure what the fuss is about that. I wouldn't plant them in gravel as it is always hideous when it comes to dividing time, getting a knife to cut through gravel....

Japanese iris do have an incredibly hard rhizome, like the hardest wood....
20iris_ensata_variegata6.jpg

Reaction score
Western Henrico County (Richmond) Virginia
Country
United States
I don't know about the iris's you referenced, but I grow the typical bearded iris's in my two ponds. In one pond (1,500 gal) the plants grow in their original pots in about 12" of water and have multiplied a bit over the past 15 years. In the other smaller pond (1,000 gal) which adjoins the larger one, I created a submerged shelf area, again with about 12" of water covering it that the same type of iris have literally overgrown the area. In the larger pond, the Koi tend to infiltrate and to some extent, tear up the iris's. This doesn't occur in the smaller pond because there are fewer and smaller fish. In my bog, I have planted ornamental grasses and lotus plants, that require thinning of the grass ever several years. The plants do offer some protection to the newly hatched fish from being eaten by the larger fish which is a good thing.

Ask a Question