Is anyone using this vacume?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
http://www.amazon.com/Laguna-PT831-Pond-Blister-Packed/dp/B000O39K5E/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

I realize its cheaply made, but I'm looking for a tool to use one or two times to get my pond where it should be in terms of built up muck. So if it works for a time or two and then breaks I'm ok with that.

I do have a question about how to deal with the water from the hose entering the pond. Do I need to pre-treat the pond with a declorinator first?

I don't have the funds for a more expensive version and using my pool net to scrape the bottom is dislodging the plants that are growing on the bottom so I'm concerned about algae bloom in the spring if I scrape everything clean and take out all the plants too. You can see the plans here in this thread:

https://www.gardenpondforum.com/topic/8287-hocking-hills-pond/

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I used something similar the sell for swimming pools at lowes and uses a hose to pick up the gunk and did not work great .My shop vac does better job

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
I've never used the vacumn nor do I know anything about it. But on the questions of using it, yes you will need to dechlorinate the water or prefilter it to remove the chlorine while changing the water unless you use a pump in the pond to run it. That is a option as well. NEVER clean the bottom all at once if at all possible. I recommend dividing the pond in thirds and wait a week to ten days between cleanings to let things settle back down. 1/3 bottom clean with a 1/3 water change every couple of weeks until you have it back under control is a good way to lower nitrates, yet still keep a good bacteria colony and not shock the fish.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
I can tell you right off the bat that this is a light-weight tool which works very well on small back-yard ponds, but is not meant for heavy-duty cleaning. The pipes and connectors are all plastic, and break rather easily. If you are OK with that, let us know how it works for you; I sell Laguna and always appreciate feedback, be it good or bad!
John

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I've never used the vacumn nor do I know anything about it. But on the questions of using it, yes you will need to dechlorinate the water or prefilter it to remove the chlorine while changing the water unless you use a pump in the pond to run it. That is a option as well. NEVER clean the bottom all at once if at all possible. I recommend dividing the pond in thirds and wait a week to ten days between cleanings to let things settle back down. 1/3 bottom clean with a 1/3 water change every couple of weeks until you have it back under control is a good way to lower nitrates, yet still keep a good bacteria colony and not shock the fish.

I did scrape/clean about 1/3 of the pond yesterday, its almost cleared up again now. I was going to do the deepest section this coming weekend if the water is still not frozen over. I don't want the muck still sitting there in the spring. I also figured that as the water temps are below 50 degrees right now, stirring stuff up wouldn't be as detrimental to the fish as if I left it alone and tried to do it in the spring.

I do have a spare in water pump, (250 gph) so that may be the best way to do this clean if I buy the vacume. I can tell its pretty light weight so given the smaller size of the pond it might be sufficient for what I need to do. If I can get it for under $30 shipped then it might be worth the risk.

Reaction score
Tools are pretty subjective. If you've never used any pond vac you might think it works great. If you've used other vacs you might think this one doesn't work at all. If you have leaves and/or string algae, sticks you'll probably be very unhappy. If you just have dead unicell algae and fish poop you might think this the greatest thing ever made.

I used to make vacuums and clean ponds and I would never consider using a PT831. It uses the venturi effect for power which is fine for some things, but for the length of travel it uses, the weak pressure of garden hose, and they have to to keep the opening for debris small. It sucks, but not in a good way. I wouldn't worry too much about the poor construction, you won't use more than once. But that's just my perspective having used great vacuums.

For a small pond you can't beat a net imo. A regular minnow net for small ponds. Swimming pool leaf net in med sized ponds. In really small, shallow and clear ponds an aquarium vacuum (siphon type) can work around plants, but I still like the net. The other up side to the net is it stirs the stuff, like turning a compost pile, breaks down stuff faster. A weekly cleaning in the summer can keep a small pond spotless.

If you have potted plants in a pond there is muck in the pond, The pots are exactly the same as muck on the bottom, same chemicals, same bacteria, same everything. So really what you're trying to do is reduce the amount. Nets are good for that.

The thing about stirring up muck and causing an algae bloom is a myth. But then most Water Gardening "truths" are myths.

Chlorine is an issue, but in Water Gardening there is a knee jerk reaction to many things. Mention adding water and you'll get a dozen people saying you must dechlorinate or your fish will die, frogs will rain from the sky, etc. But a little understanding and common sense goes a long way. Dilution is one answer and also understanding how chlorine works...it reacts with organic stuff. As soon as a chlorine molecule bumps into something it can react with it does and poof, that chlorine molecule is gone, no longer exists. Water Gardens are jammed full of stuff chlorine just loved to react with. To cite another source here's video of Andy Moo talking about chlorine 6 minutes in.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Tools are pretty subjective. If you've never used any pond vac you might think it works great. If you've used other vacs you might think this one doesn't work at all. If you have leaves and/or string algae, sticks you'll probably be very unhappy. If you just have dead unicell algae and fish poop you might think this the greatest thing ever made.

I used to make vacuums and clean ponds and I would never consider using a PT831. It uses the venturi effect for power which is fine for some things, but for the length of travel it uses, the weak pressure of garden hose, and they have to to keep the opening for debris small. It sucks, but not in a good way. I wouldn't worry too much about the poor construction, you won't use more than once. But that's just my perspective having used great vacuums.

For a small pond you can't beat a net imo. A regular minnow net for small ponds. Swimming pool leaf net in med sized ponds. In really small, shallow and clear ponds an aquarium vacuum (siphon type) can work around plants, but I still like the net. The other up side to the net is it stirs the stuff, like turning a compost pile, breaks down stuff faster. A weekly cleaning in the summer can keep a small pond spotless.

If you have potted plants in a pond there is muck in the pond, The pots are exactly the same as muck on the bottom, same chemicals, same bacteria, same everything. So really what you're trying to do is reduce the amount. Nets are good for that.

The thing about stirring up muck and causing an algae bloom is a myth. But then most Water Gardening "truths" are myths.

Chlorine is an issue, but in Water Gardening there is a knee jerk reaction to many things. Mention adding water and you'll get a dozen people saying you must dechlorinate or your fish will die, frogs will rain from the sky, etc. But a little understanding and common sense goes a long way. Dilution is one answer and also understanding how chlorine works...it reacts with organic stuff. As soon as a chlorine molecule bumps into something it can react with it does and poof, that chlorine molecule is gone, no longer exists. Water Gardens are jammed full of stuff chlorine just loved to react with. To cite another source here's video of Andy Moo talking about chlorine 6 minutes in.

I think I'm going to pass on the vac and just use the nets I have. I'lll use the funds to work on building a decent filter system. Not sure if I'll make a filter that uses a stock tank or one using a 55 gallon barrel. It will depend on what is easier to get cheaply.

Ask a Question