Is every part of laburnum tree poisonous?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have had my pond 6 years and it has done very well. Last year my neighbours removed a garage on their property which exposed 4 laburnum trees.
I am lead to believe every part of these trees are very poisonous to my fish.
I spent pounds on netting with a very fine mesh and managed to protect the water from leaves and blossom....not to mention the highly poisonous seed pods. Now im starting up my pond again I have noticed some catkin like debris ( like a caterpillar) has been dropping from these trees and falling into the pond. What can I do im at my whitts end. My pH levels are 7. I have plenty of oxygenation including a waterfall....a bell fountain and 4 x 6inch ceramic airstones powered by an external air pump. My 12 10" fish seem very happy and healthy and I dont want to lose them. Has anyone else had problems with laburnum debris in their ponds?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Welcome AndiB!
Some sites say just the seed pods are poisonous but other sites say everything about the tree is poisonous. Do you have a wildlife department or conservation agency in your area? I would ask them for help. Perhaps some variants of the tree are more poisonous than others. Since the trees are short lived you might ask your neighbor if they would consider replacing them with trees less hazardous to your pond. You might even offer to buy the trees for them. Please let us know how this turns out. Again, welcome!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome AndiB!
Some sites say just the seed pods are poisonous but other sites say everything about the tree is poisonous. Do you have a wildlife department or conservation agency in your area? I would ask them for help. Perhaps some variants of the tree are more poisonous than others. Since the trees are short lived you might ask your neighbor if they would consider replacing them with trees less hazardous to your pond. You might even offer to buy the trees for them. Please let us know how this turns out. Again, welcome!
Many thanks for the welcome

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Many thanks for the welcome.
My neighbours are of an age where they don't want their garden digging up to replace 4 really tall "bushes" as they call them. Brian says his wildlife pond is doing really well so they can't be poisonous.
I'm really worried and confused about the trees and the safety of my fish.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1616777445073.gif
@AndiB
This tree does not sound good for your fish: https://www.gardenfocused.co.uk/tree/laburnum.php

Reaction score
Country
United States
I never thought of that! We have a golden locust and a "marsh" maple in the vicinity of the pond and their "stuff" definitely gets in the pond especially in spring and fall. Of course, I generally try and remove as much as I can with my net as and when I see it and we have a net over the pond but wind does push stuff under and into the pond. Should I be worried?

Ask a Question