Is it Ick? Help

janine9620

janine
Reaction score
Hi, just got my new pond up and running, put my old ones in and then added some new ones. The man also sold me one large, he said with eggs. He also added salt (I never did that before) Everyone seemed to perk up:goldfish:, but now my fish have white spots all over their fins and the big fish and a few others are flashing quite a bit. I have a Ultima2 w/ UV and plenty of areation. Does it sound like ick, or is this commom to fish first introduced to salt or stressed? Please Any help would be much appreciated. janine

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I am not a medical expert....But the salt will not hurt them,it helps
The new fish may have been sick and caused the condition
post pics of how they look ,,,others can help

janine9620

janine
Reaction score
Thanks, I've had tropicals before, I'm thinking ick also. Everyone is acting happier today though. I'll get some pics up asap, in the meantime I'll get some ick meds, in case. The salt level is sitting good, for a pond with plants. I won't play with that yet. Thanks for your help.

janine9620

janine
Reaction score
Okay, was reading about ick some more. I read that a UV sterilizer should kill it. Is this true? I have a UV unit on my system, should I still treat the water if it is ick?

janine9620

janine
Reaction score
Okay, stopped into the pond store, got some Ick tx, she also suggested some water conditioner. Tx the pond lil over 24 hours ago. The fish look good, and seem to have stopped flashing. I ck'd my PH levels this am. The water is really soft now, I'm assuming from the conditioner. Is that okay? I have well water which is normally on the hard side should I do a partial water change or is this what the conditioner is suppose to do? Any suggestions would be helpful.

Ask a Question