Is it normal for water level to drop pretty quickly?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
It's been pretty dry here in NJ and we've also had some unseasonable high temps the last few weeks (daytime 60s - 70s). My water level has dropped several inches over the last month in my 450+/- gallon pond. I had to add about 4" a week or two ago and it was down again yesterday. Could the bog plants be sucking up the water at a high rate because of the recent weather? It didn't do this in the summer. As you can see, there are a lot of them and they have grown much more since this photo was taken. I've been cutting the shoots as they droop over the sides.

I checked the rocks around the waterfall area, but saw nothing. This is where I had an issue when I first setup the container bog.

I'm hoping it's just the plants that are drinking up the water. Otherwise, I've got no idea where it could be going. Any ideas?

20150816_170859_zpsoez35hmh.jpg

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
My plants in my filter sucked up a lot of water .But found frogs had undermined my waterfall liner .The 2 lliners overlapped each other by 4 ft and they still managed to cause the problem .It took me a month to find my leak .Turned off pumps and it took taking both filters apart to find the problem

Reaction score
Desoto, Texas (Dallas County) North Texas, Zone 8a
Showcase(s):
Your mild tempertures should not cause that much dehydration. If you plants are in pots remove the pots during the below recommended tests. I honestly cannot tell you if your plants can soak up that water.

..Is your liner EDPM or ridged?
..Is there a bottom drain or underwater side fitting?
..Is there a waterfall?
..Is water pumped from your pond into a bog?
..Does water run back into the pond from a bog?
..Do you have external hoses or piping?
..Do you have an external filter?

Before beginning the below tests insure all fittings are tight and in good condition.

With all pumps and other devices fill your pond to normal full. If possible mark to indicate full. Check the level each day. Write down amount lost, if any. After four days you should have enough data. Repeat the process for another four days. Now you have a good comparison. If there is a significant loss of water get in the pond and search for a hole at or near the water level. If a hole is found mark the spot for repair.

If the level has not dropped and you have external hoses refill your pond to normal full. Turn on your pump so water is circulating through piping/hoses, filter, etc.. Take daily level measurements as before. At end of this test repeat for another for days. If there is a significant loss of water get dig up or uncover each hose and search for a hole(s). If a hole is found mark the spot for repair or replacement.

NOTE: If it rains redo the affected test.

After these tests you should determined if there is a true leak.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Once our summer humitity dropped around September, I was noticing a consistent drop in the water level that I don't recall having in past summer/fall transitions. It seemed we went from 200% humidity [I know, I know....] to <50% over night, and it's stayed low [for us]. But when I'd fill the pond, it stayed filled -- it really was a gradual water loss, over weeks instead of days. And yes, plants can be very thirsty!

But it never hurts to check for a leak...... Better to be safe than sorry!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
have you checked the ground around the pond and hoses .Hopefully it is not like mine last year when a mole chewed through my liner.Also have you checked the bottom of your plant filter .I had one that got a minor crack in the bottom of it .I had to empty it to see it .

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
My bog pump is a submersible pump with a single hose to the container. I felt around the hose & fittings yesterday. Plus, I lifted the two rocks on each side of the waterfall & felt nothing. Hopefully, it doesn't lose any more without this pump running. Then I'll know it's the bog or waterfall. I won't be home when it's light out until Sunday. I just need to try & narrow it down until then.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Oh, I did have an issue with the waterfall leaking last year. I don't have much liner underneath it, so I'll start there first.

It's been about 4 hours & it's still where it was when I topped it off. Hopefully it remains like this tomorrow. I left the fountain pump running, so there is some circulation for now.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
How does your bog drain back into the pond? Is there a hose down low? If so, make sure you have a liner below that opening. And, look all the way around your liner. If the pond level is even close to the top edge, check any folds at that area. Sometimes the water seeps up through a fold and over the edge, especially if there is a plant nearby. I am constantly pulling my plants away from the edge of my bog, to keep the water from going over the edge. Also, plants and roots grow, creating more mass, less area for the water, and depending on where your outlet is for the bog, that could be an issue as well. Good luck! We all have had leaks, and it's sometimes quite a puzzle to figure it out.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada

With all pumps and other devices fill your pond to normal full.

After these tests you should determined if there is a true leak.

I believe there should be an "off" after devices. Just to avoid confusion!
John

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
The pond was still filled to the top, but it was raining most of the day. I don't think it was 8" worth of rain, so it probably is leaking around the waterfall area. I can work with this.

My bog container drains back into the pond through 2 small pipes attached in the side of the container. They were sealed with the roof sealer. The water flows out of the pipes onto a flat rock with a solid rock upright on each to side to guide the water back to the pond. I sealed the bottom of the sides with the sealer, too. There is a liner under the whole area, which I tilted towards the pond. It's possible that it shifted to the side or back. It's under the rocks, so until I move them I won't know.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Well, I had a chance to remove the rocks around the waterfall and the liner still looks to be fine. I don't see anyway th he water could be getting out there.

I decided to cut all the big plant runners that were hanging 1-2 feet out of the container. I found that the roots of the bog plants grew along the surface of the pebbles and were causing the water to raise up to the top of the container. I think it was overflowing there. I ripped out a lot of the roots in this area, so the water level is lower. Plus I cleaned the grates of the returns, they were full of roots.

A few hours later & it still seems good. Hopefully, that was it.

Ask a Question