Is it safe to add fish day after a heavy rainfall?

Dbarr1575

Good with aquariums, new to ponds
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I have two goldfish that I had quarantined and was going to put them in the pond yesterday. However, yesterday it rained heavily all day. I even had to go out and use my pond vac to drain 5 inches of water. Today I added more beneficial bacteria and an extra airstone (the three fish in the pond seem fine). I tested the water and the ph is high, 9 according to api test.
Would it be better to wait until tomorrow to add the two new fish? I’m not sure how long it takes to stabilize after rain.
Pond is about 250 gallons. I also tested the ammonia and it is zero.

FYI I live in Florida zone 9

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
What is the ph normally? I'd definitely let the ph settle to normal prior to adding, especially if their tank is different

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
depends on if they look stressed in the holding area and if the ammonia is safe level .Water temperature is the major concern ,If the rain has lowered the temp. of the pond and the holding tank is warmer water it could shock them

Reaction score
Country
United States
I would add one fish tomorrow and the other a couple of days later. Don't worry about the pH and rain etc. Just slowly acclimate them before putting them in the pond. Acclimation is the key to success. With your ammonia at zero you are doing great.

Dbarr1575

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Well the pond ph has not changed. The quarantine tank is a 20 L with a aqua clear 50 sponge filter on it. The two fish are not tiny one is a 3.5 inch shibunkin the other a 5 in comet. They do not seem stressed, acting normally and eating. The temperature is similar but the tank is warmer. It’s outside too so with the warm weather hard to keep temp down.
I use a small tank to acclimate to the pond. I can certainly take an hour or more to acclimate with an airstone in the tank. It can sit on a shelf in the pond to help with temperature. But the difference in ph is what concerns me.
Should I try to lower the ph in the pond first? How would I do that?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I carefully acclimate delicate aquarium fish to large pH changes with no problem. I use a drip method over a period of hours. I also use that method in my goldfish ponds. It works. Your goldfish can adjust to your pond's pH. Just acclimate very slowly. The process might take a couple of hours for a huge pH differential. Just compare the pH in your acclimation bag/bucket to the pond's pH before releasing the fish into the pond. The pH should be the same. I absolutely would not alter your pond's pH. But in my opinion, you are going to overload your 250-gallon pond with that many fish especially at that size.

Dbarr1575

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
The other three fish are only 1 inch in size. They are comets as well. So I’m guessing on the gallons the pond is 5 x 7 and 2.5 feet deep except for a shelf around the front that is about 8 inch wide and 8-10 inch deep depending on level of the pond.

Dbarr1575

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
@Stephen Noble could describe what I would need to do the drip method? I understand the concept but am uncertain how to execute it. Thanks for all your help.

Dbarr1575

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
So I found a pond calculator and it looks like I was way off. My pond is about 400 gallons even allowing for how it narrows and the different depths.

Dbarr1575

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Ok I did not put either fish in today and I just tested the ph in the pond and now it’s reading at 7. That’s a 2 degree fluctuation in about 6.5 hours. I don’t think 7 is bad but I am worried by how quick it dropped.
I have noticed that the water bubbles on the surface are not popping very quickly. I read that can be bad because could influence oxygen. I still have an airstone in addition to the waterfall but the fish are hiding (not unusual for these three).
I did find out how to do the slow drip and am planning on doing that tomorrow. Assuming all is well in the morning. I hope this just means the pond is stabilizing after so much rain. Pop

Dbarr1575

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Here is a picture of the pond. image.jpg

Ask a Question