Is it safe to put artificial Christmas tree in a pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I want to create more fish habitat and considering placing parts of artificial Christmas tree in a pond. I removed all cooper wires but now having second thought about it. There is some kind of metal that branches made of. Afraid it might be toxic to fish. Any thoughts?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Good question! IDK the answer, but don’t know if I’d do it. There’s no telling what the trees have been treated with, chemical wise.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Also, I know some of the needles and wires have coatings that can contain lead. I don't know if that would be toxic to fish?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
IDK...I wouldn't chance it. Other than live plants, there are other forms of habitat such as large size PVC pipe cut in half lengthwise to create a koi "cave". Milk crates with maybe some parts cut out for fish to gain access. Or perhaps some of the fake plants that are used in aquariums. I'm sure others will chime in with more suggestions.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
3b
Country
United States
Some have fire suppression chemicals. Don’t do it. Cool idea. I wouldn’t do it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Thank you guys. I'll skip on this idea. Would look cool , though. I'll start another thread on PVC habitat vs natural brush in water habitat.

Reaction score
For a natural habitat how about using some natural materials? A hike through the woods can score you some awesome looking dead tree branches. Attach some weight on the bottom to hold it down and there you go.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Absolutely agree with the above, best not to do it. I saw a special on the TV about one (of probably many) companies who make artificial Christmas trees for a couple of months every year. The other ten months are devoted to toilet brushes and such. I have seen while scuba diving lakes where people have placed real Christmas trees in strategic locations to promote fish habitat. But a lake is very different than a closed system pond. Is your intent to provide a spawning location or a safe-haven for adult fish?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
On fishing and lake / pond sites they have fake trees to make habitats for fish .
and no between fire retardants types of plastic , dyes i would not go there

Ask a Question