Is it safe?

djf

Reaction score
Country
United States
I recently did a 50% water change on a 45 gallon tank. I used a 2 gallon water jug that was around the house. Weeks ago it had been used with miracle grow, but I thouroghly washed it out with pure water before filling tank. Will this harm my fish?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
doubtful. but you might get a spike in algae, but i doubt that as well

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Fish will be fine. Several members use miracle grow in a seperate container to boost the growth of their floating plants.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Fish will be fine. Several members use miracle grow in a seperate container to boost the growth of their floating plants.
I dont mean to hijack the thread, but that's an interesting idea about boosting the growth of floating plants. I've never heard of that.

My floaters are just now starting to flourish. It took them a while.
It's funny, in past years they would grow so well that if I didn't scoop some out they would completely cover the pond surface. I wonder what changed?

Anyway, what's the procedure for the miracle grow? Soak them in it, then what? Rinse them? Soak in plain water for a while? And is any residual miracle grow truly OK for my fish?

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Sissy set up a kiddy pool for hers. I use stock tanks. small scoop of miracle grow in a full tank of water and put plants in until they grow a good set of roots. Koi love the roots. I never bothered to rinse mine, if you can use miracle grow on veggies it won't harm fish.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I’ve done the same with mine in just a bucket of water - 24 hours of soaking gives mine the boost they need to get green and growing.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Ok thanks! I will do the Miracle Grow trick next spring to give them a boost. They are doing good now but as I said, it took a while.
Yes, the koi absolutely love the roots. I usually keep mine in a floating net ring, but those buggers seem to still get at the roots. I see and hear them sucking away under the net. Those piggies!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I am too lazy for that, gave up on the floaters years ago. Have plenty of growing plants, the lilies cover half the pond with leaves, the hornwort takes care of the rest of the pond.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I am too lazy for that,

I always laugh when you call yourself lazy @addy1 - you're the very definition of the OPPOSITE of lazy! But I know what you mean - I, like you, pick and choose what I'm willing to put time into. Some years I'll fool with the floaters... other years it's every man for himself!

I do chuckle when I see people buying a whole bag of hyacinths or water lettuce - I've never bought more than one and end up composting by the armload. If they thrive in your pond you'll end up with more than you can use; if they don't, then it won't matter how many you buy.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I bought some one year, hyacinths, fussed with them, babied them, the ones in the big pond gave me one flower. The ones in my stream pond never stopped flowering. They are pretty, but............... Then it was time to pull out and toss i.e. winter, I sort of decided they were not worth it.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The lettuce to me has a hidden beauty. the extra long roots when it floats by a underwater light at night is crazy beautiful

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
The lettuce to me has a hidden beauty. the extra long roots when it floats by a underwater light at night is crazy beautiful

I do love those long roots - impressive how they can grow... if your fish leave them alone!

Ask a Question