Is it that time of year for leaves to turn?

SE18

David V
Reaction score
Some of my arrowheads in different places are turning yellow. Is this normal for this time of year? I live in N. Va. and the plants are native. I probably could go look where I took them but I'd have to wade a mile upstream and thought someone might know.

Thanks

Attachments

• DSC09203.JPG
    DSC09203.JPG
    97.6 KB · Views: 277

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Interesting plant, but it's NOT arrowhead. It's Virginia Snakeroot. John

SE18

David V
Reaction score
Oh man; I found it at the edge of a stream in the water (there were quite a few). After looking up Va Snakeroot, I noted that it lives in forests and floodplains, so maybe I need to elevate it more or replant in my dry/wet bog! Perhaps it's getting too much water. Now I have to look for replacement native water plants that are small and don't float away like floaters do. They were the stars of my water feature :sad:

SE18

David V
Reaction score
thanks; it doesn't mention about when the fall foliage starts but I definitely think it needs a period to dry out. Live and learn. Oh well, try something else next year and replant these. Surprised to read that in some areas these plants are endangered or threatened.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
It' s a pretty plant and has nice leaves on it and I see a lot of it in Fairy Stone Park here and was wondering how it would do near ponds as when I saw it ,it was mostly in dappled sunshine and more shade than sun .The ones I saw in more shade were a lot larger and had bigger leaves .

SE18

David V
Reaction score
from personal experience just gained, it will grow well as a pondside plant that can endure about 3 months of flooding before the leaves yellow :razz:

After reading about the plant, its history, usages (medicinal, healthy, toxic) and endangerment, I have a greater appreciation for it and these plants will definitely have a better home in the spring when I replant them to the dryer bog area. For now, I'm leaving them as some froggies have made their homes under the canopy. I think for now, I'll just find some flat rocks and raise them up

Ask a Question