Is it the heat ?

Reaction score
Well my wife and I had a run in with our neighbors a few days ago. They are blaming us for their well going bad. They have sediment and the water is cloudy from their tap. Other neighbors have no problems. I'm starting to veer away from what I need to ask everyone sorry:lol: when i feed my fish i usually tap on 1 of the fence posts to alert them that it's feeding time. My pond is about 2500 gal 4 1/2 deep in the middle kidney shaped. Well this time 2 came up to eat for a few minutes then went down. Usually it's a frenzy of 6 fish Not today though. Th majority of the food stayed top side pretty much all day till the skimmer cleaned it all up. The last 3 days it has been over 85 degrees. Is it the heat ? Or I'm thinking did my neighbor or his teenage kids deliberately put something in the pond ? Any thoughts from anyone would be appreciated. No signs of monkey business around the pond. Might have to put a trail cam up. Going to test the water in the A.M. Thanks to all in advance.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Sounds like they are spooked, heron attack? How hot is your pond, we are hitting 96 plus here and my goldies are eating, but our pond is deeper.

Point out to your neighbors your pond is full and you are not using any more water than someone watering their gardens.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
If your pond has a liner then the water table cannot be affected by your ponds existence. How deep is their well? How far away is it from your pond?

Reaction score
DrDave said:
If your pond has a liner then the water table cannot be affected by your ponds existence. How deep is their well? How far away is it from your pond?

Sorry if I steered you in the wrong direction. My pond has nothing to do w/ their well water. My fish just coincidentally stopped feeding the day after our argument. Wasn't really an argument either I just yes them to death. Yes it's lined. We had a little spat about why their well water has turned cloudy and has sediment. They're blaming my residence because it's a 2 family unit an of course we will be using more water. Our wells are in our backyards. My well is at least 90 feet away from my leech field which is in the front yard. They're saying the the more demand of water is causing them to have water problems. My neighbor to the right of me has no problems or either of our other neighbors. If you have sediment isn't it your own well that's the problem. I can't see how my well kicks up sediment. A well pump pumps water, it doesn't push out water first and disturbs whats down there before it pumps.

I was just concerned that either my neighbor or his kid put something in our pond to be vindictive to stop them from feeding. My wife just reminded me that i used to feed every other day not everyday like i have been. Maybe they just weren't hungry.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
temp changes can make them do that, a predator for sure can make them spooky, a new person can even make them finicky until they are used to them or several people coming around. If a child is getting a net in the pond, that can too.

as for the well, Your correct, the only thing you can be doing and I would think anyone in the near area that is drilled to the same depth would be doing it also is lowering the water table and if they have a older system it could suck up sediment. But if that's the case, pretty much everyone will see problems with pumps going dry as well. other than that, sounds like their issue, maybe they need to dig a deeper well....:rolleyes:

Ask a Question