is it to late to get some lilies or should i just wait till spring

Reaction score
my water lettuce and hyacinths are doing a really nice job keeping my pond crystal clear but there also kind of boring. i know the hyacinths bloom but they only last a day or two and then thats it unless some of the offshoots decide to bloom like just happened a few days ago anyways im thinking i need some lilies cuz they are so purty and they dont die in the winter should i wait till next spring to give them a shot or is fall a good time? also how many would you think i would need in a 11' round pond thanks for any help in advance

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The lilies do die back in the winter, you have tubers that sit under water waiting for spring to grow again.

Each lily, uncrowded, usually takes up an area of about 4 feet. You could use 3-4 lilies, their pads would cover the surface of your pond. I have started lilies in the fall and in the spring, both have done well. You do want the tuber low enough it does not freeze.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Most here don't divide their tubers till Spring and I bet if you wait you will be able to get some from someone here who would just want the postage paid for a bunch of them in various colors to brighten your pond. Otherwise you could find them online but not sure which is the best place to buy them. I think adavisus here sells them too.

Reaction score
wow that would be great if anyone is game for that id definitely be willing to pay the shipping come spring time please let me know!!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I, most likely, will be grooming this fall, if you would like some keep an eye on the classified postings. I like them groomed in the fall, then they take off in the spring with no effort from me. Way busy in the spring, so easier to not need to mess with lilies.

All of mine are hardies and would survive your area no issue.

Reaction score
Awesome that sounds fantastic maybe shoot me a reminder when u do it so i dont miss out thanks in advance. Really appreciate it

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Will do my best! lol They are slowing down, we have had a cool summer. Still blooming though. I usually groom towards the end of this month.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Is it best to cut back the lillies tubes and would 1 1/2 feet down in the pond deep enough? The past couple years I just brought mine in in a bucket of water and let them sit on the back porch. With the new deeper pond I'd like to leave them out...I have hardies...may just experiment with a couple inside and some left in the pond, just not sure how far back I should cut them or exactly how deep since I have no clue how this pond will freeze over this winter. I also have the plant that is on a green tall stem with plumb like things off of the top (cant for the life of me think of it's name) wondering what to do with it as it has froze here a couple times yet it's still green as can be and it's in the pond. It's long stem is like 3' tall.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I leave them in the pond, as long the tuber is low enough it does not freeze they will be fine. I would not bother pulling them at all. If your water does not freeze 1.5 feet down that is plenty deep.

Davepratt, next week I am finally going to groom my lilies. If you want I can send you some, you can either plant them, or just stick in a net bag with a rock and sink until spring. Been darn busy, keep putting it off. But next week we will have warmer days and sun, makes it easier to stick hands in the pond water. I need to groom them the leaves are dieing off, the pond took a temp dive in the last week, low 50's now. They are way over grown, didn't groom them this spring.
Trying to get ready for a surprise, small, big 60, birthday and soon to retire party for honey. Hard to do when he is home, the furlough took some of my planning time away lol, he was here everyday.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Yup, though you may find some have cyclical phases of more, less blooms when daylight length swings, you may run into fertility depletion when they have been blooming a lot for months. Some may prefer cooler months to bloom (hardies) others prefer hotter months (night bloom tropical waterlilies)

When you know waterlilies you can think in terms of planting for successional blooming, e.g. Hardies, water hawthorn for Winter, night bloomers for Summer

Regards, andy
http://swglist.wordpress.com/
http://www.pinterest.com/adavisus/pondering/

Ask a Question