Is it too early to move goldfish into a winterized pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I am struggling with achieving proper water chemistry in an indoor aquarium with African cichlids. I am losing fish daily. I stocked the tank initially with four goldfish who have survived, but I would like to remove them now to reduce the nitrate load. Temperature in the area is in low 40's. Would it kill the goldfish if I added them to the pond?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Deepest is around two and a half feet deep. I think this will be the third summer. Around 1600 gallons. There are already around eight goldfish that have wintered in there and hopefully alive.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
You’ll have to adjust them to that temp slowly. Chances are the indoor tank is 70s, so a 30 degree drop is huge to them. I don’t see a way to do so unless you have a spare tank for them. A way to reduce the nitrates would be add plants. Pothos cuttings in the hang on back filter would work, especially if they’ve already got roots. Otherwise up your water changes. I’d say your benifical bacteria isn’t strong enough yet, or your tank is overstocked.

Ask a Question