Is mosquito spray dangerous to fish?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
This morning, I doped up with a DEET based spray (Deep Woods Off) with the intention of doing some weeding. I walked by the pond and my ADD kicked in and I started to rearrange some plants, forgetting all about the spray I'd applied. Should I be worried? The pond is 1500 gallons.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I don't think I'd worry too much. I wouldn't spray it on myself near the pond, as the spray could drift into the pond. I also think I'd be careful about placing my hands in the pond if the repellent was on my hands and arms.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I use the Deep Woods Off as the deer ticks are bad here. I try not to spray my hands and arms if I know I will be working in the ponds but sometimes things happen. I have not had a problem with it so far as it would be a very small amount.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I made that mistake with my 400g pond a couple years ago. Had some on my arms, but thankfully nothing bad happened. Being that I'm in the woods so much and frequently interacting with my surroundings, I never put bug spray on my hands. I'd hate to pick up a turtle or snake or something without thinking about it. I try not to put the stuff on me ever unless I'm going to a place where mosquitoes are really bad and unavoidable. There's just something about putting chemicals on my skin that makes me nervous.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I'm not wild about the chemicals, and the 40% DEET makes me feel weird, but the threat of Lyme disease, Powassan, or West Nile virus, scares me more!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
As a doctor, I can tell you that a little DEET during the summer months is the lesser of two evils compared to insect-borne diseases. And I'm not crazy about chemicals on my body either...

I wouldn't worry about the pond... But I'd also avoid doing it in the future.

Ask a Question