Is my coy sick? Help!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
We have one coy who survived all the animal attacks over the years.   He's over 10 years old.   My wife noticed a small red spot on his side.   I've tried to take a picture of it.   Today he didn't eat at all which is rare but also the smaller fish were picking at his side and he stayed on the bottom.    Is there anything I can do?    I don't want to loose him!

It can't be from an animal unless its a snake because I have a cage over the pond they can't get through.

Please help!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I can't get your pictures to open. Go to photobucket and copy the img code paste it in the post , your pictures will show here then

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
I can't get your pictures to open. Go to photobucket and copy the img code paste it in the post , your pictures will show here then

I don't understand the issue. All I did was try and edit some of the wording and then the pictures refused to show no matter how many times I deleted and added them back in. And it seems to be on both sides of the large Coy

I will try again.

2011-09-15_19-07-32_734.jpg

2011-09-15_19-07-00_616.jpg

2011-09-15_19-06-36_94.jpg

2011-09-15_19-06-15_581.jpg

2011-09-15_19-06-04_808.jpg

2011-09-15_19-05-54_565.jpg

Reaction score
I'm fairly new to this forum...Some of the people that can help you get up pretty early. The more information you can give them, the better. Things like the Ammonia, PH, Nitrates and Nitrite readings will be helpful. Also, how large your pond is, how many fish and what kind of filtration are among the questions they most likely will ask.
Good luck to you, I hope your fish can be saved.....I'm sure someone with more experience will give you suggestions in the morning.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
I'm fairly new to this forum...Some of the people that can help you get up pretty early. The more information you can give them, the better. Things like the Ammonia, PH, Nitrates and Nitrite readings will be helpful. Also, how large your pond is, how many fish and what kind of filtration are among the questions they most likely will ask.
Good luck to you, I hope your fish can be saved.....I'm sure someone with more experience will give you suggestions in the morning.

Thank you for reminding me.

I have a 2 pond system, they flow into each other.

The bottom where the fish are is about 5x5 and 2.5' deep

The top pond is the same.

Filter is pretty clean I can see the bottom.

The large coy shares his home with 6 other smaller coy including mosquito fish.

We've had it for about 12 years

A pic but not recent

IMG_0391.jpg

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Can you catch it? it is hard to see what you are seeing.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
sounds more like an ulcer(s) starting to me...either way catching it and isolating should be your first step...if it is an infection or diease the longer its in with the others the more chance it has to spread to others... so do that and get a couple of good pics. ulcers can start from an injury, parasite, or some internally from infection....i would salt the QT isolation tank as well. salt is always a good start for medicating. especially if your not positive on the problem.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
sounds more like an ulcer(s) starting to me...either way catching it and isolating should be your first step...if it is an infection or diease the longer its in with the others the more chance it has to spread to others... so do that and get a couple of good pics. ulcers can start from an injury, parasite, or some internally from infection.

It sounds like either way its something bad. How do I isolate it? New tank? How do you treat it?

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
use a large tote or stocktank (bigger is better)...if you dont have one go get one...walmarts or any where... fill with clean dechlorinated water.slowly add 1/4 cup of noniodized salt per every 15 -20 gals of water.and aerate the tank...give this a few days with no feeding. but take pics before he goes in the tank if you can.(while hes out of water) this will give everyone a better look. and you can get a more accurate assessment.
***make sure to cover tank with a net or something to prevent a jumpout.

Reaction score
Also, make sure the water temperature in the 'hospital' tank and your pond are the same. Don't want to start a whole new problem with a shock in temperature change.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
Also, make sure the water temperature in the 'hospital' tank and your pond are the same. Don't want to start a whole new problem with a shock in temperature change.

Wife went to our local pond and fish store. They gave her some testing material for the PH in the water. It was a bit high so they told her to add vinegar of course in the proper amount for the pond. They also had her add rock salt to the water.

But they warned her to not remove the coy which I think is weird but I lost that argument. Tomorrow morning we have to check the PH levels and add a bacterial medication to the water. I'm not thrilled leaving him in there with the rest of the fish but I've been overruled for the moment.

I tried getting more pictures but didn't want to stress him out and couldn't. Its pretty much a light red about 3/4 of the way back. On one side at least one of the scales is sticking out but thats all I could see.

Reaction score
Well, I'm glad someone is helping you. Someone said it sounded like an ulcer and it sounds like that is what they are having you treat for. I do know that the PH level shouldn't be changed quickly. Please keep us posted with updates, I am interested in the healing process and what the pond store recommends. Good Luck!

Reaction score
I looked at Lagunakoi.com/koi diseases; there is a picture and listing under saprolegnia fungus (carp pox). That last picture does seem to show raised "warts". None of your other fish are symptomatic in any way? I wish you the very best of luck.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
of coarse they will say to not remove the fish from the pond and to treat the whole pond...they get to sell you all the stuff to treat it. especially,not knowing what exactly your treating. isolating the infected fish is much cheaper. and visual inspection is easier. i couldnt see anything in the pics that was clear enough to make any kind of educated guess. a strong salt dip then bath does more than a lite salt treatment in the pond. and feeding medicated food, assures absorbtion into the bloodstream. treating the water is more a topical treatment...just my 2 cents.

Ask a Question