Is my filter really a skimmer?

Reaction score
So the more I look at our current set up I am thinking that the problem might be that there is no feed from the bottom of the pond. Our little bio filter sits in the shallow end and feeds from the top (which is only inches from the surface). So our filter never picks up the poop and detritus from the bottom and sides unless they float up. Would this make it more a skimmer than a filter?

We are running a 1200 or 1500 gallon Pondmaster pump and have about a 1,000 gallon pond, if we have the pump pulling from the bottom of the floor and then leading up to a 50 gallon Skippy filter in the waterfall basin, will that help keep with the stuff on the bottom? Or would it be better to leave the existing one in place when we install the Skippy?

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Having the pump near the bottom of the pond and pumping it to your new skippy filter should be all you need

Reaction score
My 300 gallon pond has the same set up (only with a 500 gallon pump). Am I gonna need to redo that filter as well (keeping in mind that I now have turtles in that one as well as goldfish)? There is no waterfall in the little pond either so no skippy for that.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Do you have a pic of your skimmer filter ? it would help

Reaction score
Pictures174.jpg

you can see it in this pick, it is quite the eyesore.

Reaction score
The large black pot on the right of the pond is it. It is about 1.5 feet tall and the deep end is only about 2 feet deep. It sucks the water from the top of the pot.

stroppy

stroppy
Reaction score
i think thats your problem ...nothing is being lifted from the bottom if i were you i would get a pump that handles solids... like a titan or something like it will draw in all that muck from the bottom for you :biggrin:

Ask a Question