Is my koi pregnant?

Reaction score
I'm going to look so stupid if this fish isn't pregnant... But I've seen Koi though never with a huge belly like this. So while giving them a feed I decided to put this one in the net and get a picture for some advice. (My hand is only there for size ratio)

Attachments

• 20130521_130345.jpg
    20130521_130345.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 4,449

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Looks very pregnant and stressed in the photo, probably due to lay eggs the next full moon, If you have a male for it to breed with do a 20% water change the afternoon before the full moon, almost a guarantee it will spawn if water conditions are right.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
I personally dont think this koi is Pregnant could you please tell me what exactly are you feeding them at the moment ?
It may just be that this koi has laid down a huge amount of fat in its body this can happen when the wrong type of foods are being fed to them, it may be it fully ballanced koi diet.
it may even be a build up of fluid. It has been far to cold in both the UK and Scotland for koi to think about breeding just yet.
Even down in the Deep South West have we been getting the same and its only now its really starting to get warmer here so its logical its going to take longer the further north you go .

rgrds

Dave

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
I'm going to look so stupid if this fish isn't pregnant...
I would not say that but something does need to be said here. Fish do not get pregnant, not even live bearers like guppies. Only animals where the developing embryo receives nourishment from the mother are pregnant. Fish are said to be heavy with eggs.

Howard

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Thats so very true the eggs are expelled as is the milt , its only then that the eggs become fertile .

rgrds

Dave

Ask a Question