Is my pond frog friendly?

Reaction score
Hi

I've just built a small goldfish pond in my back garden, within a about a week of finishing it,a frog turned up! :) i love frogs, would be really happy if the little chap makes a home there....

I'm a bit worried that my pond isn't frog friendly, it's surrounded by lots overhanging stones and the sides are vertical - i've read about frogs not being able to climb out of garden ponds to be able to hunt.
Since the frog turned up I've put a stone in the shallow end, hoping he will be able to climb on and make his way up the little water fall though i'm not sure if this is enough. Pics attached

Appreciate any thoughts....

Thanks

Attachments

• 2013-08-20 06.59.37.jpg
    2013-08-20 06.59.37.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 486
  • 2013-08-20 07.08.44.jpg
    2013-08-20 07.08.44.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 527
  • 2013-08-20 07.08.18.jpg
    2013-08-20 07.08.18.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 479

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
A piece of wood like Dr Case states would help, but it looks like your waterfall is a climb out area for the frog. By your pictures it looks like a smooth entry into the water the frog could climb out on. I have ended up with frogs in my small preforms, smooth sides about 1-2 inches before the water starts. I have watched the frogs go to the side and climb out. They so work around the edge to the lowest spot, grab the edge and out they go.

That rock near the waterfall, sort of laying in the water and on the edge will also make a nice climb out.

Reaction score
Frogs will find a way to make it work LOL I've seen frogs crawl out of mine at times and other times shoot up and out of the water, even up the waterfall to get to where they want to be.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
The water area looks good for frogs. They like plants and greenery that they can blend into. Maybe add a piece of driftwood.

I would recommend planting frog-friendly plants around the outside edge of the pond, particularly native plants.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
If frogs are around they will make there home there! I thought that of my pond too, but now I have many frogs that hang out in and around it :boldblue:

Reaction score
Country
United States
I just ordered a floating log (made for aquarium) to use in my pond. The frogs come to visit mostly in the spring and I'm always worried they might not be able to get out of the water.

In the past I used the fake silk lilly pads for the frogs to get up out of the water. They seemed to work just fine as well.

Reaction score
I don't get any frogs where I am, but I do get a lot of Fowler's Toads and they mate in my pond during their mating season. They also make quite a racket. However if they don't have a way of getting out of the pond they can drown, and also the males can be so persistant that they will cling onto the female even when she climbs out of the pond, assuming she has the strength to do so.
I have a stump at one side of the pond and running from it to the other side of the pond is a debarked juniper branch. At the far end from the stump it rests on a pile of rocks going from below the water line to the top of the rocks surrounding the pond. I also have a similar pile of rocks below my frog fountain, on top of the container of my filter pump and on top of the container with the pump for the frog fountain. the rock piles are also necessary so the toadlets can get out of the pond after they've morphed. Until the toadlets have left the pond I keep the water level high enough that toads and toadlets can swim onto the rocks, and then climb out. Needless to say I have string algae problems since I have to limit my algae removal because of the toadlets, dragon and damselfly nymphs, snails, and water insects that get entangled in the algae.

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies guys

I like the idea of the drfit wood, though to be honest im not sure how it would look with my pond being surrounded with stone.
My garden is also mostly laid to stone, with a with plant patches.

Reading the replies - can frogs climb onto lily pads from the water then....?

If they can my little frog should be fine

Reaction score
Oh sure! Frogs are very hardy. In fact, once you get them, you'll be hard pressed to get rid of them :LOL:
I let the smaller frogs stay, until they get big enough to eat my small fish......then OUT they go! Lol. But if you ever do relocate frogs, make sure to take them far from your home, just taking them down to the creek doesn't keep them from coming back. :)
You must be doing something right though, It took my ponds two years for frogs to find them. They say if your pond has frogs and butterflies, dragon and may flies visiting it, you have accomplished as close to natural conditions as a man made back yard pond can be :) congrats!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My frogs climb out onto the lily pads all of the time, they also like to float on the lotus leaves. Fishylove I had frogs show up as soon as water hit the pond, they came from everywhere. The closest stream is a mile or more away.

Ask a Question