Is No More Algae Liquid killing my frogs?

Reaction score
Hello ! I am new to the board and to running a garden pond and need some advice asap. We have a 100 gal pond we put in last year. It is one of the plastic premolded ponds from a hardware store. This year we put in two gold fish but we were never able to see them cause of algae. Pond is shallow and in full sun. So I bought this No More Algae stuff yesterday in hopes of clearing up our pond and this morning one of my frogs that live in the pond is dead. Does this stuff kill my frogs? I would really rather keep the frogs then have a clear pond.
Thanks so much for the help with this.
Martina

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Get some surface plants to help with reducing the sunlight and provide good circulation. I have a 50 gallon 3 tiered arrangement where the water is crystal clear in and I have hundreds of koi fry in there.

Reaction score
CHEMICALS :bowdown:

I wouldn't use them, usually its a quick fix, but not a solution.. You need to get a small pump with filter circulating the water. then you'll be able to clean the filter daily for a while and it should clear up. Once it clears you can just clean the filter weekly or every couple of days. Walmarts got a kit for 30-40 bucks, so does Lowes..

Plants are great too, will naturally take care of it like the Doctor said... good luck..

--Craig

Reaction score
Petzie said:
Hello ! I am new to the board and to running a garden pond and need some advice asap. We have a 100 gal pond we put in last year. It is one of the plastic premolded ponds from a hardware store. This year we put in two gold fish but we were never able to see them cause of algae. Pond is shallow and in full sun. So I bought this No More Algae stuff yesterday in hopes of clearing up our pond and this morning one of my frogs that live in the pond is dead. Does this stuff kill my frogs? I would really rather keep the frogs then have a clear pond.
Thanks so much for the help with this.
Martina

Cannot answer your question about the frog, but amphibians are very sensitive to chemicals, so it could be. I would use chemicals as a LAST resort. As others advised, a good filter with enough biomass should clear out the algae eventually. In the meantime, the algae will not hurt the fish, in fact many Japanese fish breeders strive for thick green water and do not understand our Western penchant for clear water. (I admit, I am with you on this one.)
As stated, plants will be very helpful in clearing up any type of algae problem. Algae is quite inefficient at taking nutrients out of the water, plants will use up the nutrients before the algae and starve it out.

Reaction score
Most algaecides contain copper. This will kill most amphibians even in low doses. They really are made for pools and don't always carry the warning about how they will effect plants and animals.

Robert

Ask a Question