Is our goldie beyond saving?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello there, we bought a house with a pond and got the pond up and running about 12 months ago but only bought our fish at the beginning of this summer. We have learnt things along the way (herons!) and have two goldies in a hospital tank for over a week now. My husband has been meticulous with water changes etc but the one Goldie looks far worse than before. Is it beyond saving? Please can someone help as I don't want the poor thing suffering. I have included a picture as well as what meds we are using.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    74.6 KB · Views: 336
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    179.1 KB · Views: 227
Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I've seen fish came back from worse. I dont know any medicine or anything but one thing i've saw as a must is to keep the water clean for the sick fish to be able to heal up on his own.

good luck.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@Tess Mayne Oh my! Was that from the heron! We have a member here from the UK who is good with fish illnesses, but we haven't heard from him in a while, @Dave 54

I'm going to make another post -- iPad is acting up and needs a re-boot!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@Tess Mayne We need to get a little more information from you that might help with your problem. Please answer as many as you can, or do the best you can. Other members may add questions.

We ask these questions any time someone has sick fish. In most cases, fish illness is due to water quality issues. I'm not saying that you are a poor fish-keeper. There are so many things to consider with sick fish, so making a quick diagnosis based on a picture isn't a good practice for us.

• What size is your pond? How many gallons [sorry, liters], and how deep is it?
  • When did you first put the fish in the pond?
  • How many fish did/do you have?
  • When did you see the first sign of illness?
  • Was this from the heron or did it appear on its own?
  • If not from the heron, did you notice any unusual behavior from the fish?
  • What kind of filtration do you have in the pond?
  • What kind and size of pump are you using?
  • Do you have any aeration in the pond water?
  • Do you have a water test kit....to check for pH, ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates?
  • If so, we need you to give us those results, but we need the actual numbers for the results, not that they were "OK," or "great."
  • If not, can you get a test kit and start using it? Most of us use the API Freshwater Master Kit.
AS TO CARING FOR THIS FISH -- THIS IS THE FIRST PRIORITY......

• Give us more info about what you and Hubby are doing to treat this fish?
  • Does anything seem to be working?
  • What size tank is it in?

Please get back with us ASAP!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
@Tess Mayne We need to get a little more information from you that might help with your problem. Please answer as many as you can, or do the best you can. Other members may add questions.

We ask these questions any time someone has sick fish. In most cases, fish illness is due to water quality issues. I'm not saying that you are a poor fish-keeper. There are so many things to consider with sick fish, so making a quick diagnosis based on a picture isn't a good practice for us.

• What size is your pond? How many gallons [sorry, liters], and how deep is it? It is 3mx3m 0.7m deep
  • When did you first put the fish in the pond?
  • The first batch in May but these particular ones at the end of June
  • How many fish did/do you have?
  • We had 5 of these and only have one healthy one remaining; 12 other gold fish are fine
  • When did you see the first sign of illness?
  • About 4-5 weeks ago but we thought it was bacterial and treated the pond with a Blagdon bacteria and anti-fungal product
  • Was this from the heron or did it appear on its own?
  • We now know that it is an ulcer
  • If not from the heron, did you notice any unusual behavior from the fish?
  • Just little white blister at fin at the beginning
  • What kind of filtration do you have in the pond?
  • Pond pump; water skimmer; UV light filter
  • What kind and size of pump are you using?
  • It's a large pump not sure of the specs
  • Do you have any aeration in the pond water?
  • Yes
  • Do you have a water test kit....to check for pH, ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates?
  • Yes, see picture. All tests are normal.
  • If so, we need you to give us those results, but we need the actual numbers for the results, not that they were "OK," or "great."
  • If not, can you get a test kit and start using it? Most of us use the API Freshwater Master Kit.
AS TO CARING FOR THIS FISH -- THIS IS THE FIRST PRIORITY......

• Give us more info about what you and Hubby are doing to treat this fish?
  • We have it in a hospital tank indoors using the attached products
  • Does anything seem to be working?
  • We began treatment a week ago; area seems bigger and I am worried that the fish is suffering and in pain
  • What size tank is it in?
  • 150 litre tank

Please get back with us ASAP!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    125.8 KB · Views: 213
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    179.1 KB · Views: 199
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    209 KB · Views: 268
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Was this from a heron? If so, it's possible it'll heal. I've read where you can apply hydrogen peroxide to the area, one time. How is the other goldie?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@Tess Mayne Thank you for the test info -- that looks good. That is for the pond, right? Please take a moment to answer the rest of the questions.

How is the fish doing?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Was this from a heron? If so, it's possible it'll heal. I've read where you can apply hydrogen peroxide to the area, one time. How is the other goldie?

The other goldie passed away :cry:

We have a pond net now after losing our first goldie to a heron therefore doubt very much that it is Heron related.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
@Tess Mayne Thank you for the test info -- that looks good. That is for the pond, right? Please take a moment to answer the rest of the questions.

How is the fish doing?
The fish in our pond are all happy fishies.

Our poorly fish is not doing well and we've made the tough decision to let him go :(. The ulcer is deep and it must be suffering. It is the most humane thing to do; we tried our best but due to lack of knowledge the fact that it was an ulcer on both fish was diagnosed too late but at least now we will know what to look out for if it were to happen with new fish.

Thank you all for your advice; it's great having others to share and talk to.

Last edited:

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@Tess Mayne You may be making the right decision. It's not easy, but we never want to see our pets suffer.

I do wish you'd go ahead and answer the questions in post #4 above. You may not be able to help this fish, but maybe we can help you PREVENT and learn how to deal with future issues!

How many total fish do you have in the pond?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
@Tess Mayne You may be making the right decision. It's not easy, but we never want to see our pets suffer.

I do wish you'd go ahead and answer the questions in post #4 above. You may not be able to help this fish, but maybe we can help you PREVENT and learn how to deal with future issues!

How many total fish do you have in the pond?

I'm so sorry, what questions have I missed? Sorry, being ditsy and am missing something!
We have 12 fish in the pond.

Ask a Question