IS Ponding a dying hobby?

waynefrcan

19 years ponding and hopefully 4 more!
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Just in the local pond/aquarium place where I bought some past ponding equipment. I asked about people building ponds, is it on the increase. He said no. Not many are doing large ponds 1500 gal and higher. A few at 1000 gal and most just want a small 250-500 gal water feature or pondless fountain. In fact not many are buying koi either.

And property value with ponds has decreased. He said a pond 1,000 gal and bigger can be a + or - $10,000 to property value.

Slightly depressing, what ye all think?

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Wayne, it makes sense and I think, as everything is, it is a sign of the economy and all of the talk of resource conservation.

Honestly, in regards to property value, it is all in the eye of the beholder, but I would agree that, generally, it usually is a negative on the propery value to have a pond in the landscaping due to the increase in home liability insurance, that is much like a pool without all of the safety precautions.

It is a very niche and can easily be an expensive hobby. I would suspect pond bussinesses generally have a tough time much like the LFS (local fish store, for folk that don't know).

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Actually in our area it seems there is growth in new ponders. maybe because the opportunity to be able to access more help and pond knowledgeable people have become more available. Koi ponds in particular are on the rise. Five years ago the pond tour had 12 ponds of the tour. This year they shut it off at 20 with over 35 applicants entered to show for the weekend. I personally know of another 12 large ponds that are less than 2 years old that would easily been chosen to show for the tour but were to far away from the primary point of origin.
I agree the economy has vastly effected the retailers and pond supply shops are very limited but with internet availability and DIY video's becoming more available many are starting to show more and more interest in the hobby than I have seen for several years.

waynefrcan

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Well that's cool. Maybe topic title should be in part, dying hobby in CANADA! Feel free to add that in Mr. Larkin :cheerful: . Apparently for some reason it's hard to get any koi outside Canada due to new regulations and permits for retailers. I know Canada is anti-gun but anti-Koi?

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
You know that Australia and parts on England are the same way, No imports at all. But that doesn't stop the true hobbyist from finding quality koi. It does take getting a group of involved hobbyist breeding and working with each other to get strong bloodlines going. I read several threads from koi keepers north of the border. But to keep the hobby going you'll have to really work with what has made it in before the ban.

BTW, I think the thread title is fine. I'm curious how the hobby is in other parts as well. The West coast used to be one of strongest areas for new pond growth for many years. But Just a pure guess but I would bet that the hobby in the US has shifted more 50%/50% east coast to west coast now. I just seem to notice more and more getting involved on the east coast side and several dealers that once existed on the west coast have since gone out of business for one reason or another.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I'd love a huge pond. I have the yard for it, but its just not affordable for me, and I don't have as much time as I'd probably need to take care of it. Maybe someday; Its definitely one thing I hope to do in the future, but my 200-ish gallon pond will be just fine, and its good practice for if I do ever get a larger pond.

I certainly hope it isn't a dying hobby. Backyard ponds are important to a lot of insects and animals that are losing their habitats.

waynefrcan

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Canada does have koi breeding now, that's who's suppling Pet Smart up here. Not sure of quality, last year Pet S got them from USA.

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
There are dying areas in ponding for certain,, Far less water lily producers and collectors than there was 10 years or so ago, Also seems to be less and less small pond related business locally in may areas than there were many years ago.

A larger pond doesn't have to break the bank. I just visited a pond build today after work. The owner is using a old billboard sign as a liner. made a home made skimmer box, built a bog garden filter and it's being run with a single 3000 gph pump and a air lift trickle filter. 4000 gallon pond and has less than $700 in the whole set up at the present time. Although to get it landscaped to be attractive could cost twice that it's still things that can be done over time and not all at once.

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
waynefrcan said:
Canada does have koi breeding now, that's who's suppling Pet Smart up here. Not sure of quality, last year Pet S got them from USA.
If someone is breeding and supplying pet stores then that means some are being held back for better breeding for future. Could be a task but that's the person you need to find, meet and get to know. Bet they have some really nice ones stashed back that aren't run of the mill pet shop koi.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
I think you'll find that its in flux because the recession brought about by various banking scandals around the world that is causing not jut a recession but a double infact treble dip recession .
The Banks wont lend and so people are not spending money.
Howver saying that our koi club seems to be bucking the trend here in the South West of the UK with a spate of new members joining up .
When the worlds economy bucks its ideas up then I think you'll see an upturn of Ponders and koi keepers.

rgrds

Dave

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
dont have a clue how many new ponds are being built around here. but i know it doesnt take long for me to sell out of my fish every year. alittle over 200 fish went in 10 days this year. 140 in a week last year...seems like a pretty stable market for me. and i'm just a craigslist seller. and a small sign out front. and theres 20 + sellers on craigslist here. so if my sales are any indication of the rest of them... atleast cheaper koi sales like mine are doing O.K.

Reaction score
koiguy1969 said:
dont have a clue how many new ponds are being built around here. but i know it doesnt take long for me to sell out of my fish every year. alittle over 200 fish went in 10 days this year. 140 in a week last year...seems like a pretty stable market for me. and i'm just a craigslist seller. and a small sign out front. and theres 20 + sellers on craigslist here. so if my sales are any indication of the rest of them... atleast cheaper koi sales like mine are doing O.K.
Just curios how much you are selling your koi for? Do you have a link to your craigslist ad?

Ask a Question