Is primer needed to seam?

Reaction score
Thanks to addy1 I'm about ready to seam a few sections of the stream together but don't have any primer. I bought a can of acetone but after watching a video on Youtube I'm not sure if that is all I need. The video shows the surface as being tacky after the primer is put on. Should I get some primer or will the acetone be all I need? As a side note Aquascape says that gasoline can be used as an alternative to primer, does this sound right?
http://www.aquascapeinc.com/upload/22017_Seaming_Instructions_FINAL_5-06.pdf

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
A lot on here use a little sand paper and nail polish remover .Thats what I used .I would not use gasoline to hard to get rid of the residue .Peroxide cleans up any thing else so be good to have that on hand .I used very little nail polish remover but cleaned it good and used 220 grit sand paper

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
For small jobs we use rubbing alcohol as the last step, the version with the higher concentration.

I would start by cleaning the liner with dawn dish soap to remove any oils. Do it again if you sand. Your fingers deposit a bit of oil on everything you touch. Better to not touch once you start cleaning even though you will be tempted to feel it. Might not matter but easy enough to not touch/

Ask a Question