Is re-potting necessary?

Reaction score
Country
United States
In my pond I have four potted plants - a dwarf cat tail, a marigold, and two others I can‘t remember the name of at the moment.

They are all still in the containers that I purchased them, I just submerged them in my pond.

Do I need to put them in pots and change or can they stay the way they are?

If they need to be re-potted, what soil should I use for them? I read somewhere that you can use non-clumping litter instead of the special pricey aquatic soil.

Looking forward to your feedback.

Thanks

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a/sunset zone 23
Country
United States
In my pond I have four potted plants - a dwarf cat tail, a marigold, and two others I can‘t remember the name of at the moment.

They are all still in the containers that I purchased them, I just submerged them in my pond.

Do I need to put them in pots and change or can they stay the way they are?

If they need to be re-potted, what soil should I use for them? I read somewhere that you can use non-clumping litter instead of the special pricey aquatic soil.

Looking forward to your feedback.

Thanks
Are they just in all purposes plastic pots used for land plants also?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You can use plain 100% clay cat litter, the cheap kind. Make sure it has no additives. I used to use that but found that over time it soured and smelled awful when I repotted the plants.

I now plant my plants in pots filled with river rocks, no soil of any kind, just rocks. You could also use gravel, but my fish dig in that and it is soon all over the pond so I use a larger rock. I also use plain sand, but only for irises and water lilies. Everything else grows in rocks in pots in the pond.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Creative use of a combination of rocks and gravel, usually. Smaller marginals can be tucked between rocks at the edges. Bigger plants can be propped up on shelves by building a "plant pocket" of small rocks (a circle or even a half circle, depending on how your shelves are constructed and how deep you want the plant) and filling it with gravel. It only takes a short time for a pond plant to put out roots and the ability to support itself.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
It's best all around to plant them directly in the pond, no pots. Or..... you can make or buy mesh planting bags that would allow the roots better contact with the water.

Keeping them in pots not only restricts the roots from spreading (root bound) but limits their exposure to the nutrients in the water.

Let them free!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Or you can just take them out of the pots altogether and plant them directly in the pond.
noooooooooooooo not cat tails. like @WaterGardener said i vote for the peastone in pots.

There are many invasive plants in the bog or marginal families. if the plant in question is on that list never plant it without a pot or tub like an oil changing pan/ plastic.. or if you go for it keep an eye on it. a simple plants root base can be stronger than us when we try to rip it out.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Ooooof… missed the reference to cattails! Although the dwarf variety is a bit easier to control, it does seem wise to keep them in the pot!

Ask a Question