Is something wrong with these??

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
My little pond is just getting started. I added some water hyacinth to it about 5 days ago. The WH looked great when I bought it, no brown or wilting places on it anywhere that I could tell. Now it is not looking so good. I've noticed some brown and some of the leaves are starting to look like they are dying, burning maybe?

I also planted what I think is parsley next to my waterfall. This plant was growing along a waterfall at the nursery, not in the water. They weren't selling it anymore, but since I liked it so much they dug some up and gave it to me no charge. There were 4 little clumps of roots in what they gave me. Again it looked like a healthy plant in the ground. Now in my ground, it looks like it is dead. The leaves and stems are not brittle though, which makes me think it may not be. Also the couple of stems hanging over into my pond look green. I've been keeping it well watered since it was just transplanted. Not sure if I should just dig it out of there or keep waiting.

Here are some pics if any of you can help me.

Attachments

• hyacinth.jpg
    hyacinth.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 273
  • parsley.jpg
    parsley.jpg
    158.1 KB · Views: 326

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Did they have it in a shaded pond? is yours sun? Could be the difference between your pond water and theirs. The land plant, put some mulch or some sort of ground covering around it, since just taken out of the ground they are struggling. If not so close to the pond I would mulch it, maybe even put some newspaper around the base to keep the dirt cool and wet.

Reaction score
As for the WH, how old is the pond? They are very hungry plants and may be running out of nutrients. A water test can check that. You can also remove them and set them in a bucket of miracle grow for a few hours to perk them up.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Thank you both. The WH were in a greenhouse at the nursery, and are now in full sun, so maybe that is making the difference. They don't seem to look any worse though now. Should I cut off what turned brown or just leave it be? I think one of them may have made another plant, I thought for sure I only had 5, but now there is 6. Yes my pond is new. I may try that miracle grow thing, should I use pond water to add the miracle grow to, or just water from the hose?

On another note. I finally got a water lily from a friend's mom. No idea what kind it is. Leaves are green on top and reddish underneath. Its leaves are pretty small right now only about 2.5 inches in diameter. It came from her well established pond. And she had it potted and everything for me, so I just set it in the water. I used some stones to prop it up closer to the surface. Right now the water surface to the soil in the pot is about the length of my hand. Does that seem about right or should I raise it up some more? some of the smaller leaves are still underwater

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
With the lily, you can leave some of the leaves under water, they will grow until they are out. My lilies are from surface to soil anywhere from 12 inches to 3 feet. You slowly lower the plant as it grows.

The wh you can use pond or hose water

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Do I need to repot in larger pots as it grows, like with other potted plants? Thanks so much for all your help. I really have a black thumb, but thought that any plant living in water was bound to be easier to grow then in a garden. Thinking I may have been wrong about that! LOL

Reaction score
Depends on the type and what pot it's in now. But if she just potted it for you, then it should be fine for now.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I would leave it alone for now jen, my lilies are all in oil pans I picked up from wally world.
The only time you really mess with them is at end of season or the start of next year, trim off leaves flower as they go dormant for the winter, divide if you have too many tubers.

During the growing time prune off dieing leaves and dead flowers to keep them out of your pond, add a lily tab to help them grow.

Ask a Question