Is the hot weather affecting your pond?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
With all the brutally hot weather in the US that we have been receiving. I thought it would be interesting to see how other people's ponds are holding up and if they are having any problems and what steps they have taken to remedy them. I have noticed that my fish seem to be avoiding the surface a little lately and wasn't sure if it was because of the heat or the fact that we have had some regular visitors recently (raccoons)!

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
My water temps. have been hanging right at the 90 degree mark, all the fish are staying well in the shade during the day, alomst like they are hiding froma predator, haven't seen any sign of any predators now for well over a couple of months now. I am starting to see more string algae in the stream, and some of the lily's aren't growing as well as they were but all and all I pretty happy with how it looks right now and the fish all seem healthy and water parameters are right in the ranges I like seeing except the temp.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My pond was 91 yesterday, it is a cool 89 this am, over 50% plant coverage and today is going to be worse................The fish are still eating, I am not feeding them a lot. They are hanging out under the lilies, just come out if I toss in some food.

Other than that all appears to be fine. My lilies don't see affected fishin, still blooming like crazy. hyacinths covered with blooms.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
My water is 84 deg this morning , koi still are acting normal and swarm me if i go out the door. They want more food

ididntdoit99

ididntdoit99
Reaction score
Not much change, they really dont seem to mind it. I havent pulled any water lettuce out in the last week, so I've probably got about 95% plant coverage right now, figured it'd help the water temps if i just left it in there.

But it's finally pretty cool today, so I might pull some out when I get home form work.

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
My pond is doing rather well, fish are eating but staying under the plants and I have a lot of plant coverage. Starting to get some string algae in my creek and I am losing about an 1.5" a week of water. The pond is at 89 degrees this morning will see what it is tonight. Supposed to feel like 110 degrees today :(

I think my hyacinths like the heat because I have about a dozen blooms, finally....

SE18

David V
Reaction score
it's something like 120F with heat index here in Virginia. Heard folks heading to Florida to escape the heat.

I was away from home for 4 days and didn't yet get my float yet in the mail so I asked my daughter, who was home watching the beagles, to top off the waterway with garden hose to compensate for a bit of evaporation. Long story short, the water was running full tilt for about 3 days. We'll have to see what the water bill was.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
the heat is affecting my pond mostly in the fact that i'm not out there enjoying it! water parameters are ideal, aside of temps @ 85* average consistantly... but, fish are healthy and happy, tho are spending more time under the plant rings for the shade. still not a strand of string algea in the pond but a good amount in the top of the filter. i only clean that up if it starts obstructing the flow out to the falls. it was 115*f here yesterday with the heat index...walking out into that from 68*f in the air conditioning is a real chore. today is supposed to be hot (95*) but fairly cloudy..this should help as well.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
My water is 95 this morning already and have the shade cloth over the pond and got about 4 water lily flowers coming up .Fish are staying under the bridge or the 1 waterfall .The water is clear but had to put in quilt batting again .They are building a house across the road and are moving dirt around and the dust is horrible .I just had to hose my front porch off because of the dust .Plants outside of pond I have to water 3 times a day because they look sad after awhile .Walking outside for anything is a chore .The humidity makes you feel like you are walking into a steam bath

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
10 am, 92 degrees, 114 heat index............... pond 89

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Heats kicked a few of my plants in my flower beds with the 100+ temps we've been having....fish seem to not be bothered to much by it though, yet they do like to flurry around under the lily and water hyacinth. I usually add water daily to cool it down for them, just not alot. The humidity and dew points are kickin everythings touchies here even though most of my garden seems to like it, my fish seem like they could care less as they eat like pigs.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
yep my land plants by the end of the day are wilting, but they come back. I have been out watering more than normal.

right now it is 96 with a heat index of 130. I have a weather station at my house that gives updates every few moments. But the pond is sitting at 89, have the stream running with a good water drop, hoping to cool the water on the way down.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Pond is 63* and outside temp is 65*. Had to wear a sweater yesterday. All's well here :nananananana:

Ask a Question