Is there a Doctor in the house?

cuesport

Pool Shark
Reaction score
Five days ago, I bought two small Koi and two goldfish. I put the Koi in my 1000 gallon pond and the goldfish in my 30 gallon pond. Yesterday, one of the Koi and one of the goldfish died. Today, I lost the other goldfish, the other new Koi, and 2 of my older Koi (they were 6 inch Koi that I have had for about 2 months).
One of the larger Koi had a large chunk missing from its underside (see picture). All of the other dead fish, physically, looked to be okay. I tested the water in both ponds and everything looked good.
Today, all of my Koi appeared to be very lethargic. They are normally voracious eaters, they didn't seem to be interested in eating at all. I treated the pond with salt and also treated it TetraPond "Pond Fish Treatment". Tonight, the remaining Koi appear to be okay and were eating. Could this be a parasite problem?
I'd appreciate any input. The larger pond is only two weeks old.

Attachments

• Forest.jpg
    Forest.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 284

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Thats odd so all of the new fish died,,, they could have been sick
But then one of the big koi died with that bite mark,,, do you have turtles?
have you tested the water in your new big pond ?
were did your 6" koi swim before they made it to the big pond ?

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
The initial treatment of salt must be agressive, Followed days later when the salt level is reduced with meds if you wish.
I don't like to treat the pond unless it is indeed the pond causing the condition. For open wounds, parasites that get into the wound and infections, your best bet is a hospital tank which can easily be rigged with a trash can and liner.
Losing all these in 2 different ponds makes me thing contamination. Are these ponds connected?

cuesport

Pool Shark
Reaction score
No Turtles. I actually lost 2 (6") Koi. Only one appeared injured. The ponds are not connected. The injured Koi had been in my small pond up until 2 weeks ago (when I comleted the larger one. The other 6 inch koi was purchased 1 week ago from a reputable dealer that quanentines all new fish for 2 weeks before selling. All water parameters look good, except that the water is very hard. What can be done to soften it?
The remaining fish all look better today, moving around and eating. Is there a test kit for checking salinity?

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
cuesport said:
No Turtles. I actually lost 2 (6") Koi. Only one appeared injured. The ponds are not connected. The injured Koi had been in my small pond up until 2 weeks ago (when I comleted the larger one. The other 6 inch koi was purchased 1 week ago from a reputable dealer that quanentines all new fish for 2 weeks before selling. All water parameters look good, except that the water is very hard. What can be done to soften it?
The remaining fish all look better today, moving around and eating. Is there a test kit for checking salinity?

There are several ways to test for salinity. There are inexpensive liquid/test tube kits that lets you compare the results with a color chart and there are more expensive electronic ones.
I think I would run a complete set of tests before doing anything else.

Ask a Question