Is there a need for a Filter for a Pond

Reaction score
Hello;

My colleague is building a pond which he intends to place Nile Tilapia. The pond is 1825kilo -liters = 482,114 US Gal. I asked what type of filter he was going to use and he said none, which comes to my question: Can you have a large pond and not have a filter?

There will not be any underwater plants, just solid ground.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Hello;

My colleague is building a pond which he intends to place Nile Tilapia. The pond is 1825kilo -liters = 482,114 US Gal. I asked what type of filter he was going to use and he said none, which comes to my question: Can you have a large pond and not have a filter?

I think that the answer to your question would be no

Dave

Reaction score
If the pond is filled with fish
I think that the answer to your question would be no

Dave
If the pond is filled with fish won't the waste poison the fish?
That was my thinking. And thank you for answering.

Reaction score
I see you also have another thread going asking for an alternative fish to the Tilapia for this pond, but you didn't really answer the question that was asked of you, what is the purpose of the fish in the pond?
As far as needing a filter, here's the thing.
One issue with ongoing care of any fish pond is fish populations and fish load. Obviously having a small fish load in a large pond won't likely be a problem, but the thing with fish is they are horny little creatures, and from what I understand about Tilapia they are Really horny little guys and they breed like crazy. Even a very large pond could become filled with the little buggers in a short time, thus increasing the waste level beyond what the natural nitrogen cycle of that pond could handle. You could start dumping bags of zeolite in there I guess, but that has it's own problem as I brought out in another thread. LOL
Your college would do well to figure out how to deal with all the inevitable baby fish before he stocks the pond. Perhaps the answer would be as simple a finding out if any groups or individuals would be interested in routinely harvesting excess fish from the pond to keep stocks low.
I understand they use tilapia to control mosquitos in bodies of water in some regions, perhaps this is the reason your college wants to stock this pond in the first place?

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Hello;

Yes, under certain conditions. As MitchM pointed out it depends not only on fish load, but also fish density. If it is not heavily stocked, your friend may get by with only adequate circulation because the pond would serve as its own filter, much as a earthen bottom natural pond, PROVIDING that no supplemental food is introduced to the pond. The fish would feed only on the planktonic and benthic organisms particular to this pond. The addition of aquatic plants would greatly supplement this natural food supply and aid in Ammonia control.

Reaction score
I have a friend that stocks tilapia. They breed like CRAZY. And they have so many babies at once. The pond will be over run in no time. She has to sell and give hers away. They are also known for their ability to add a tremendous amount of waste (fish poop) to the water, which makes them ideal for aquaponics. While they thrive in a natural pond, having them in an artificial pond with no filtration just seems cruel. They are very hardy fish and can live in almost any conditions but I'm not sure why anyone would want a yucky looking pond.

If your friend is digging a pond, with NO LINER, just digging into the natural springs in the earth, he will have no problems with the tilapia. I agree some plants will greatly help the situation.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Yes, under certain conditions. As MitchM pointed out it depends not only on fish load, but also fish density. If it is not heavily stocked, your friend may get by with only adequate circulation because the pond would serve as its own filter, much as a earthen bottom natural pond, PROVIDING that no supplemental food is introduced to the pond. The fish would feed only on the planktonic and benthic organisms particular to this pond. The addition of aquatic plants would greatly supplement this natural food supply and aid in Ammonia control.
sub 80 Meyer is your man here most of us have ponds with anything from concrete bottoms, butyl bottoms or like ourselves welded plastic which is where we in reality cannot help you .
Meyer however is all about on the more natural side of things , there is another way you could go forwards and thats Dr Kevin Novaks anoxic filtration system " though I'm not sure of Meyers thoughts on that system" buts its another way of doing things .

Dave

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
sub 80 Meyer is your man here most of us have ponds with anything from concrete bottoms, butyl bottoms or like ourselves welded plastic which is where we in reality cannot help you .
Meyer however is all about on the more natural side of things , there is another way you could go forwards and thats Dr Kevin Novaks anoxic filtration system " though I'm not sure of Meyers thoughts on that system" buts its another way of doing things .

Dave
Besides not being everything that it is claimed to be, the 'anoxic system' is a complete waste of time, energy and materials in an earthen-bottom pond as the entire bottom of the pond will have an anoxic zone just a few centimeters deep.
To clarify things, I have very little dealings with earthen-bottom ponds, mostly EPDM lined and a few older concrete. But you are correct, Dave, I am more about natural processes in an aquatic eco-system. With a little thought and planning, these processes can be duplicated in a lined Garden pond without the use of many artificial devices, supplements or treatments.

Reaction score
what is the purpose of the fish in the pond?
I did answer the question, on the fifth post: it is for show as he is building it in a park. Am no sure about the construction of the pond, but what has been done is the pond has been dug, then concrete slabs have been placed to hold its shape. Either they use cement to cover gaps between the concrete slabs or, more likely, place liner (which I think he meant when he said isolator) over the concrete slabs and cover the liner with sand.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I did answer the question, on the fifth post: it is for show as he is building it in a park. Am no sure about the construction of the pond, but what has been done is the pond has been dug, then concrete slabs have been placed to hold its shape. Either they use cement to cover gaps between the concrete slabs or, more likely, place liner (which I think he meant when he said isolator) over the concrete slabs and cover the liner with sand.
This changes things. With this new information on the method of construction for this pond, supplemental filtration (Bio) may be required. Sand is one of the poorest sub-strates for attracting bacterial colonization, so Nitrification and other oxidative processes will be less than ideal. Given that either Tilapia or Carp are being considered for stocking and that both species are consummate waste producers, the eco-system in this pond may quickly become overloaded. Clay is a much better choice as a sub-strate, however I know nothing about its availability in Kuwait. Incidently, any sub-strate that is used to cover the liner should, in this case, be at least 12" deep.
Your friend may want to consider constructing linear Phyto-filters around this ponds perimeter. These, when appropriately sized, would meet the need for supplemental biofiltration. Additionally, aeration is a must for this project.

Reaction score
This changes things. With this new information on the method of construction for this pond, supplemental filtration (Bio) may be required. Sand is one of the poorest sub-strates for attracting bacterial colonization, so Nitrification and other oxidative processes will be less than ideal. Given that either Tilapia or Carp are being considered for stocking and that both species are consummate waste producers, the eco-system in this pond may quickly become overloaded. Clay is a much better choice as a sub-strate, however I know nothing about its availability in Kuwait. Incidently, any sub-strate that is used to cover the liner should, in this case, be at least 12" deep.
Your friend may want to consider constructing linear Phyto-filters around this ponds perimeter. These, when appropriately sized, would meet the need for supplemental biofiltration. Additionally, aeration is a must for this project.
I will inform my colleague. Thank you guys.

Reaction score
Although having some sort of filter is a good idea, I still think you are going to have some long term plan for harvesting the growing tilapia as they get get bigger or breed. After all these fish are generally grown for food and their fast growing, and prolific breeding characteristics, not to mention their ability to survive in poor water quality. They are not generally raised as ornamental (show) fish.
I would think for a show pond in a park that koi or goldfish would be more suitable since they are more brightly colored, and beside filtering the water to keep the fish alive you'd want to filter the water to help keep it clear, so you can actually see the fish.

Reaction score
Although having some sort of filter is a good idea, I still think you are going to have some long term plan for harvesting the growing tilapia as they get get bigger or breed. After all these fish are generally grown for food and their fast growing, and prolific breeding characteristics, not to mention their ability to survive in poor water quality. They are not generally raised as ornamental (show) fish.
I would think for a show pond in a park that koi or goldfish would be more suitable since they are more brightly colored, and beside filtering the water to keep the fish alive you'd want to filter the water to help keep it clear, so you can actually see the fish.
Assuming he will not take close care of them or other staff will.

Ask a Question