Is there a plant that would be happy here?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Hey GPF pals:
My waterfall proportions need a plant, I think. I have two shots, one more zoomed in so you can see the specific area in question. The water drops into a splash pool with gravel in it. I feel like a little greenery in there would be cool -- but what sort of plant would be happy in that aerated gravel? Maybe a piece of parrot's tail - to just let it wander around? Is there anything that comes to mind when you look at this spot? I'd appreciate any ideas!
Thanks!
IMG_1563.jpg
IMG_1562.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a/b
Country
United States
First I must commend you for building a beautiful waterfall. Why not stay with the theme you created in the lower level using the iris against he wall and the flowers in front. I plant annuals bare rooted in my stream and they thrive. Even shade loving plants in full sun.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
When you say u plant annuals bare root in the stream..what type are u talking about... and how do you keep them feom floatig into the pond. I have a new waterfall and would like some plant life, but not sure how.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Your waterfall really is pretty!

Are you hoping for something to grow directly where the water lands? Or off to one side? I could see something to the right of the cascade, but it's hard to see if it's gravel there or a solid piece of rock.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a/b
Country
United States
..what type are u talking about... and how do you keep them feom floatig into the pond. I have a new waterfall and would like some plant life, but not sure how.
Along the streams margins I use pea gravel to anchor the roots. I removed half the dirt but probable could have left all the dirt attached. I've planted impatiens, petunias, vinca, and marigolds. For me the petunias where the most successful.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Your waterfall really is pretty!

Are you hoping for something to grow directly where the water lands? Or off to one side? I could see something to the right of the cascade, but it's hard to see if it's gravel there or a solid piece of rock.
Behind and off to the right. Just under the waterfall itself is a gravel-filled basin -- but yes, to the right there are some solid stones. The proportions of the waterfall are sort of tall and skinny, leaving that backing stone and the stones below and to the right a bit barren. But I could anchor something in the gravel and hope it wanders to the right - or wherever. I will try to get some pictures when the light is a little better.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
First I must commend you for building a beautiful waterfall. Why not stay with the theme you created in the lower level using the iris against he wall and the flowers in front. I plant annuals bare rooted in my stream and they thrive. Even shade loving plants in full sun.
Thank you!!!!! I wondered about the iris, too. But they would need to root in the gravel and then might be too tall back there. But I could try it to see what happens!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
You might even consider putting a pretty pot there and filling it with dirt and planting some bright colored annuals. You'd get both height AND color. Just a thought!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
United States
I really like your waterfall/canyon/rapids with change in direction! That works extremely well.

On the area around my waterfall, about the same size, I've been taking moss from a shady area on the north side of my house and poking it in all the cracks and crevices near the falls. It has greened up and fluffed amazingly and seems to be thriving. With a bit of luck it will expand over the rock surface.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Watercress would be great! But I buy mine from the grocery store - $1.00 a bunch. And you can eat 3/4 of what you buy as you only need to plant a few sprigs.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Watercress would be great! But I buy mine from the grocery store - $1.00 a bunch. And you can eat 3/4 of what you buy as you only need to plant a few sprigs.

Wow, couldn't find it the past two years at the grocery store. I did finally find it at Giant Eagle last month but it was $3.99 a bunch. I bought one bunch and put it out in the pond but it wilted and died even though it had nice long roots. Maybe it was still too cold?

Ask a Question