Is there a proper Salinity?

Reaction score
Hi
I want to use salt to help control my algae and wondering what is a the idea specific gravity to do so. I have a very stubborn algae problem than i plan to tackle with a UV filter, algicide and salt. Im just wondering if there is an ideal specific gravity i should go for. I only have medium size koi in my pond. nothing else.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Im making a UV filter now as we speak i jut bought a 25W germicidal bulb (UVC) and ballast and im gona set it up so water passes along the light to destroy algae. im already using pond care algae destroyer however it can get expensive with a 3000 gallon pond. I guess ill see what kind of results i get with the uv filter.

BBK

Reaction score
The UV will kill any suspended algae in the water and the chemical will kill any that is clinging to the sides and bottom. Together, they should eliminate the algae.

Reaction score
I would like to know this as well not to interrupt your thread flyguy327 but nobody really answered your question. and what kind of salt can you use the kind you would put in a water softener for a home?

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
chemicals are not an answer. they are a bandaid!! they kill alge in mass quantity and that dead alge feeds the next cycle. you end up with a chemically dependent pond. you have a u.v.. build a good bio filter and get a few plants.. your water will clear,and stay that way. the plants will feed on the nutrients that have been feeding the alge, plus provide some shade for the fish. and alge needs sunlight floating plants will block some of that that light. barley straw extract will help also, although it should have been started when the pond was opened.

Reaction score
Kioguy, I understand your comment in regards to adding chemicals and this makes sense but, I thought I read it was beneficial to add salt for improved fish health. Adding salt to kill off algae I've not read but, understand it can kill your water plants. This is the reason I will not ever add any salt and I really don't want to mess with the pond ecosystem. I am also curious on what type of salt and salinity level is typically used. If I had a quarantine tank for the sick or wounded it sounds beneficial.

Reaction score
Salt will help with the health of the fish but I'm pretty sure its not gonna help on the algea. If it did I'm pretty sure that I wouldn't have to scrub my reef tank. :icon_mrgreen:.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
It seems the addition of salt and its amount in a pond environment is subject to great debate. Here are the values and/or opinions I've heard over the years:

Ponds with plants - no higher than .1%
Ponds without plants - up to .3%

Pond salt is beneficial to goldfish/koi in many ways. I keep my pond at around .05% as it contains plants. Here's a great link describing salt's affect on plants http://www.bonniesplants.com/how_to/salt_vs.html

Algae is a plant, therefore, salt will kill it and prohibit its growth in high concentrations.

Ask a Question