Is this a good place

Reaction score
Country
United States
this is the area I want to put my raised pond in I was going to try to just use a pond liner and cinder blocks to hold it up or a preformed pond trying to send a photo of the area now also the other picture is what I want it to look like when I'm finish

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 275
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    182.2 KB · Views: 219

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
this is the area I want to put my raised pond in I was going to try to just use a pond liner and cinder blocks to hold it up or a preformed pond trying to send a photo of the area now also the other picture is what I want it to look like when I'm finish

Looks to be as good a place as any. Stick with the liner and stay away from the pre-formed, they're not deep enough for over-wintering of fish.

One suggestion however.......construct a latticework frame on that cinderblock wall to grow some type of a vine (something that flowers and is fragrant). The only thing that wall is missing in its current state is some razor-wire and a guard tower.

Smaug

God makes perfect. I just dug the hole
Reaction score
Country
United States
Looks to be as good a place as any. Stick with the liner and stay away from the pre-formed, they're not deep enough for over-wintering of fish.

One suggestion however.......construct a latticework frame on that cinderblock wall to grow some type of a vine (something that flowers and is fragrant). The only thing that wall is missing in its current state is some razor-wire and a guard tower.
I know the op wants to do an above ground pond but saying a preformed isnt deep enough to over winter isn't accurate . I over winter ed my fish in a preformed for over 8 years in just a 150 gallon. Now to be clear with an above ground feature in a cold climate it won't matter if it's 2 ft or 3 ft, preformed or liner,it could still free solid.

morewater

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
If you're hot and dry, then you really need worry about the evaporation rate, not only from normal atmospheric evaporation but evaporation from the surrounding rockery due to "splash" (ie. from a waterfall, or from a stream).

A deeper pond will provide you with more "peace of mind" from water loss due to evaporation and will keep the water cooler.

In a hot climate, deeper is better. In a cold climate, deeper is better. In short, deeper is better.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I can't dig in the. Ground so I have to go up plus I have a toddler and the ground would not give me piece of mind at all so I have to build up so that its deep enough and high enough to enjoy all at the same time

morewater

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
If you're in a super-sunny, hot and dry location then you might want to erect some sort of a shade sail over the pond to lessen the evaporative effect. A removable steel mesh lid is an option that is pretty well kiddy-proof and gives you the option of removal for cleaning, etc.

Ask a Question