Is this a Problem?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
I have some fry inside and one of them has these dots. Is this coloring or an issue. Water has been the same for a couple weeks since the cycle was complete. Other than the PH was a tad higher
spots tail-1.jpg
spots tail-3.jpg
tank 10-15-2.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
Australia
So as the spots seem to be symmetrical it would be unusual for it to be an infection. But are the spots really lumps? If they are then it is probably some form of Ich. If the spots grow and extend along the fins then it is probably rot or fungus.

Ray

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
So as the spots seem to be symmetrical it would be unusual for it to be an infection. But are the spots really lumps? If they are then it is probably some form of Ich. If the spots grow and extend along the fins then it is probably rot or fungus.

Ray
Yes they are moving along the fin line and a spot on another fin. So please tell me what to do for it

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
Australia
take a better photo (closer) and make sure the spot is also slightly raised or not (A small bump). If it is a bump as well as a spot it is probably ich (plenty of medications for that.) If it is not a bump but just a milky spot it is probably a bacterial infection or fungus (plenty of medications for that). Take the better photo and your observation about it being a bump or not to the petshop and they should give you the appropriate meds. I would separate the one you are treating into a separate tank to treat it.
Ray

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
take a better photo (closer) and make sure the spot is also slightly raised or not (A small bump). If it is a bump as well as a spot it is probably ich (plenty of medications for that.) If it is not a bump but just a milky spot it is probably a bacterial infection or fungus (plenty of medications for that). Take the better photo and your observation about it being a bump or not to the petshop and they should give you the appropriate meds. I would separate the one you are treating into a separate tank to treat it.
Ray
Thank you. I will do that today, but have other issues going on in there also with others. It's a mess last night.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
sounds awful. What happened?
Well I had 2 with crooked backs, thought it was a deformity and was going to use clove oil on them. Then a 3rd one that was perfectly normal started getting an arched back and hanging in the plants upside down. A couple others are swollen and one hanging at the top. Little ones have stopped eating. I'm taking about 4 of them to a vet this morning. Now I'm nervous about them having TB.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Well I had 2 with crooked backs, thought it was a deformity and was going to use clove oil on them. Then a 3rd one that was perfectly normal started getting an arched back and hanging in the plants upside down. A couple others are swollen and one hanging at the top. Little ones have stopped eating. I'm taking about 4 of them to a vet this morning. Now I'm nervous about them having TB.
Let us know how the vet appointment goes. What is TB?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Let us know how the vet appointment goes. What is TB?
The vet Euthanized the 2 with crooked backs and is sending them out for a histopath. The 3rd, fish that was getting crooked he send back home, but it can't swim now. :cry: He also gave me Antibiotic for 7 days. Wants me to salt at 2 cups in a 40gal. That seems like a lot and he didn't say anything about my plants or snails. What % of salt is that, does anyone know?

Tuberculosis
If a fish has a bent or curved spine, it is most likely infected with a Gram-positive mycobacteria (Mycobacterium marinum or M. fortuitum). This is commonly referred to as fish tuberculosis, piscine tuberculosis, acid-fast disease or granuloma disease. Tuberculosis is a chronic, progressive disease that may take years to fully develop. Symptoms include lethargy, emaciation, fin and scale loss, exophthalmia (bulging eyes), skin inflammation and ulceration, edema (dropsy), peritonitis (parasite infestation) and nodules in muscles that may cause deformation of the fish. Fish that appear to be most susceptible to fish tuberculosis are gouramis, black mollies, neons, and other tetras, carp and anabantids.
Infected fish should be removed and quarantined immediately for four weeks or more. To prevent this infection, do not overcrowd, and provide good water quality. Remove any fish that appear affected. Some successful treatments have been described using chloramine-B or -T, cyclosporine, doxycycline, ethambutol, ethionamide, isoniazid, kanamycin, minocycline, penicillin, rifampin, streptomycin, sulfonamides and tetracycline. In addition, you might try using streptomycin for the first four days at a dose of 10.6 mg/L (40 mg/gallon). After the streptomycin treatment is completed, feed the affected fish with food that has been treated (soaked in) with rifampin at a rate of 10 milligrams per 100 grams of food for about two months. At the same time, treat the aquarium with isoniazid twice a week at a 10.6 mg/L (40 mg/gallon) dosage for one month. If all fish become infected and eventually die, the entire aquarium should be sterilized using a mild bleach solution and rinsed with liberal amounts of water before adding any new fish.

Tula- I googled fish TB. Really serious stuff! It is treatable but is also contagious.
Yes It is and very sad. He also said it could be another kind of infection. Histopath will take about a week

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Wow, I've never hear of fish TB before, always learning. I've read about gram positive bacteria, but don't know anything about it.

Are these fry from a spawning of your koi? Any idea how they contracted the TB? I am so very sorry this is happening to you and your fish. It's fortunate you have a fish vet near by.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Wow, I've never hear of fish TB before, always learning. I've read about gram positive bacteria, but don't know anything about it.

Are these fry from a spawning of your koi? Any idea how they contracted the TB? I am so very sorry this is happening to you and your fish. It's fortunate you have a fish vet near by.

Yes they are fry from my koi pond. I have no idea how something like that is brought in. I never get new fish as my spawn each year. I have a bunch of birds, frogs and this year a ton of snake mating in the pond. I will ask more when the results come back.

I'm a bit nervous putting the antibiotic in. They are so small. Feel so bad for them going through this. Hoping it doesn't destroy my cycle.
Thank you for chatting--most people just don't understand we love them and they are not just fish.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I've see this salinity calculator on koiphen.com , maybe it can help you figure out the % of salt in your 40 gallon container.

Ask a Question