Is this a Problem?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
Australia
We all feel your pain with the fish. Try to keep in mind that you are more distressed than they are! They don't know what is going on but you do. We all share your anxiety. The salt into your aquarium seems like a heavy dose but I would guess it is ok. Dont use iodised salt use something like pool salt.
I would do whatever the vet said to do and do it right away. If it is TB then act quickly. I am surprised it is TB as that is pretty rare in a system that has had no new fish introduced. Fingers crossed it works. You are doing everything you can and that is all that matters.
Ray

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
I've see this salinity calculator on koiphen.com , maybe it can help you figure out the % of salt in your 40 gallon container.

Thank you! I will check it out. I had this test from years ago, I tested last night and it was 0.08%. It says with plants I can go to 0.1%. This test has long been expired and I can't find it on-line anywhere. So I don't know if it is even accurate. I am doing 50% water change every day because of the medicine going in every night. ( I think that's a bit to much. Going to send vet an email ) So this is going to be tricky for me. I'm already stressed to the max having to put them through the meds and the 50% water change each morning. So I have to figure out what salt should be added as the vet sent me another formula. Of course it is all greek to me. I'm attaching that photo incase anyone knows what the % means in terms of what I have on the concentration chart. anyone know if this is going to crash my cycle? That's all I need.

We all feel your pain with the fish. Try to keep in mind that you are more distressed than they are! They don't know what is going on but you do. We all share your anxiety. The salt into your aquarium seems like a heavy dose but I would guess it is ok. Dont use iodised salt use something like pool salt.
I would do whatever the vet said to do and do it right away. If it is TB then act quickly. I am surprised it is TB as that is pretty rare in a system that has had no new fish introduced. Fingers crossed it works. You are doing everything you can and that is all that matters.
Ray

Thank you Ray--I'm hoping it's not TB, cause that would be a disaster and we haven't even addressed the pond if it is. These are eggs from them, I am hoping it is something that was on a plant I got to put with the fry and not the pond. I am using API aquarium salt. The vet sent me another level he wanted me to do as I have pond snails in there and plants. I just have no idea what he is talking about. Attached Photo. I am also looking for that salt test.
Are snails ok in the 0.1% for 7 days? If that is what the photo is saying.

Here is a video of this morning after doing the first dose last night and the 50% water change this morning. Vet thought that little black/silver one was going to be ok as it was swimming upright in his office, but it is breaking my heart watching it now. I don't know if the meds will help him or not. Also one of the little yellow ones is having a hard time today. That's why I think the 50% is to much.

salt test.jpg
salt amount.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
Australia
So as I said earlier you are doing everything you can! So be at peace with that thought. So my question is why the 50% water-change each day? Do the meds say to do that? If the meds or the vet didn't say to do that then I would not do water-changes while they are sick. Also keep remembering they are suffering less than you.

Ray

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
So as I said earlier you are doing everything you can! So be at peace with that thought. So my question is why the 50% water-change each day? Do the meds say to do that? If the meds or the vet didn't say to do that then I would not do water-changes while they are sick. Also keep remembering they are suffering less than you.

Ray
Yes he vet said to change 50% each morning. But that took out 1/2 the salt and I don't understand the salt formula he sent me to know how much to put back in. So I am going to have to email and wait until tomorrow. But they were a lot more active before the water change. The medicine is Trimethoprim/Sulfamethox 480mg. 6 tabs a day.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
are you are dechlorinating the water you add?
Yes I used this. It said 5ml for 100gals or double for chloramines. So I used the 5ml for the 40gals. and divided it into each 5 gal. bucket. Which is the way I have to do my changes.

Attachments

• dechlorinator.jpg
    dechlorinator.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 184
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I wish I could be of more help in determining your salt level, but am afraid I've no experience with it. Hoping you've heard back from your vet by now with the information you need.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
I wish I could be of more help in determining your salt level, but am afraid I've no experience with it. Hoping you've heard back from your vet by now with the information you need.

The only thing he has sent is that the test is not back yet. I only have one more dose tonight of the antibiotics and the fish are the same. I have been researching and found this product. Has anyone ever used this, know anything about it? Does it raise the salt level or is it more minerals? Sorry I am unable to make it bigger. But the name is Azoo koi mineral salt.

This is the description:

Koi originated in Asia and cultivated by Japanese as a delicate fish. A variety of Koi have different market value. Buffering of pH Value and hardness of water is important for keeping and breeding Koi, but sometimes it is ignored. KOI MINERAL SALT is essential for keeping Koi fish. FEATURES: 1. Helps maintain the ideal water conditions of pH value of 6.0~8.0, hardness of 5~12°dGH, for color enhancement and breeding ability. 2. Stabilizes osmotic pressure and electrolyte levels, maintains the health of intestines, refrains from swim bladder diseases, boost fish’s resistance to ectozoa on fish skin 3. Provides buffering of pH Value and hardness of water, Avoid water acidification after long term feeding. 4. With additional vitamins formula effectively promote fish’s metabolism, immunity and new environment adaptability. INGREDIENTS: Na+ Mg2+ K+ Ca2+ Sr2+ Cl- SO42- Br- B F- HCO3- Al I Fe Cu Zn, Trace elements, minerals and multi vitamins. DIRECTIONS FOR USE: 1. One full tea spoon is 5 gram. For the first time use, add 20 gram per 50 liters of water. 2. After water changes, apply the dosage (50 gram per 50 liters) according to the volume of water that refill in the tank. 3. Each bag contains 1000g for 1000 liters of water. A 5 gram spoon is included.

s-l225.jpg
71vcJpSGmTL._SL1500_.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
If you're looking to treat your 40 gallon container to the recommended salt level, consider checking out koiphen.com. They have a medical / emergency area and are very knowledgeable .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
If you're looking to treat your 40 gallon container to the recommended salt level, consider checking out koiphen.com. They have a medical / emergency area and are very knowledgeable .
No actually I was going to purchase this for the buffering ability and vitamins. I'm not looking to salt, that's why I was wondering if anyone has heard of it before

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
Australia
Have heard of it but dont use it. I dont need it. Also I dont think you should add anything that the vet does not tell you to until the results come back. are all the remaining fish ok at the moment? Still eating and darting about?

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
No actually I was going to purchase this for the buffering ability and vitamins. I'm not looking to salt, that's why I was wondering if anyone has heard of it before
If you are not looking to salt, why add salt. Koi are fresh water fish. Salt can be used as a treatment but once it's in the pond, takes a lot of water changes to remove it.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Koi originated in Asia and cultivated by Japanese as a delicate fish.

I always chuckle when I read that koi are "delicate" or "sensitive". And yet they are being banned from being owned in many parts of the world because, if they somehow get out of the pond (either by accident or by someone releasing them into the wild), they will survive and thrive in nature to the point that they could become a nuisance. Doesn't sound delicate to me!

Sorry... that had literally nothing to do with your question, other than to say if I read that in the marketing info for a product, I'd take a hard pass.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I'd probably wait to hear back from your vet before adding anything additional to the water. I've read about folks using crushed oyster shells or adding baking soda , to buffer their water.....both seem readily available, if needed.

Ask a Question