Is this an acceptable location for a pondless waterfall feature?

Discussion in 'Pond Construction & Equipment' started by ExpertPruning.com, Nov 10, 2017.

1. ExpertPruning.com

ExpertPruning.com

This is the last free portion of my yard, everything else has been converted to exotic fruit trees.

As I dug the holes for my trees I gathered a nice collection of rocks, as you can see in the photos. I thought why not build some sort of water feature with these behemoths?!

I have some pictures of the location below. Please let me know if it would be possible to create some sort of natural-looking, pondless waterfall in that corner.

Here is the location.
    23483034_10214765789437632_1192273757_o.jpg
    With another angle
    23514792_10214765789357630_1938354053_o.jpg

And here is a rough sketch of what I imagine it might look. I plan on building a mound of rocks (that brown blob) in the corner to create some elevation.

Then I would have the waterfall split in two. One side going down the steeper slope towards the camera before draining, and the other going off to the right.

23483034_10214765789437632_1192273757_o.jpg

I don't know if I should add a second pump as it would surely complicate things. Is it possible to have the water flow to the right, then disappear back towards the left, where drain #1 is located?

Thanks everyone!!

ExpertPruning.com, Nov 10, 2017
    sissy likes this.
    1. Advertisements

2. ExpertPruning.com

mgmine

I don't see any reason that it wouldn't work but be careful not to make it look like just a pile of rocks. For a pondless falls to work the rocks can't be so large that the water simple disappears into them, As far as the water going in different directions that will be complicated. The flow of water can't exceed the space for it to flow into.

mgmine, Nov 11, 2017
    1. Advertisements

3. ExpertPruning.com

sissy sissy

great place for it as it will make it a real focal point .most pondless have a pump vault made out of some kind of water holder .What are you planning for that ,What will pump 2 do as that would have to be another water vault .

sissy, Nov 11, 2017
  4. ExpertPruning.com

Lisak1

You don't need two pumps. And you don't need that much height to create something pretty - in fact, anything that tall is going to look out of place. How about something like this:

km_cascadingfalls5_302_x_227.jpg

Lisak1, Nov 11, 2017
    Rajesh and Meyer Jordan like this.
  5. ExpertPruning.com

sissy sissy

true you already have a natural hill work with that and you can tweek as you see what works and what doesn't .Geeze I can't say how many times I have changed things in my pond and sure others here have done the same .I see if it will work if not then I change it

sissy, Nov 11, 2017
  6. ExpertPruning.com

Lisak1

I'm more of a one-and-done kind of worker. I don't like re-doing anything. I don't even mow the lawn the same direction two times in a row! haha! But I really do like to plan, plan, plan, think, think, think, and then plan some more before I start a project. I like to make sure I'm going to be happy with the end results the first time around. I love projects - I just like to constantly be moving on to the next thing. I have a LOOOOOOONG list of to-dos!

Lisak1, Nov 11, 2017
    Rajesh and sissy like this.
  7. ExpertPruning.com

sissy sissy

I have a long list but then I always see something I want to change that could make it better .I have to plan because all the projects I do are by myself so everything has to be thought out so I don't get hurt .

sissy, Nov 11, 2017
  8. ExpertPruning.com

Lisak1

You are a dynamo @sissy - I tend to be the planner, my husband is the financier, and my kids are the worker bees. Although they are all to the point that they make more money than I do, so they frequently say they would rather pay someone to do it for me rather than do it themselves. haha! But we enjoy working together on the projects that are manageable for a DIYer with low skill level.

Lisak1, Nov 11, 2017
    sissy likes this.
  9. ExpertPruning.com

sissy sissy

I have had to do this all my life as hubby traveled a lot so learned to do and plan things by myself .I was wondering if his pic is deceiving as how high the waterfall will be and how wide .He really has no sizes listed for anything and that would help greatly .Fence height and that concrete wall height would help also

sissy, Nov 12, 2017
  10. ExpertPruning.com

Lisak1

Measurements would definitely help. I just think so often people think "waterfall" and imagine they have to have a big height for the water to come from. I have seen so many pretty little water features that are just slight elevations. Several big rocks are so much better than a bunch of small ones, too. Scale is important.

Here's another example of a pretty pondless that has a small elevation:

waterfeature-stream-landscaping-20120628019_orig.jpg

Lisak1, Nov 12, 2017
    sissy likes this.
  11. ExpertPruning.com

addy1 water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins Moderator

There is a person near us that mows their lawn in a perfect cross hatch, huge lawn. IE the lawn is mowed twice to make the pattern...............no thanks.......

I just mow

addy1, Nov 12, 2017
    sissy likes this.
  12. ExpertPruning.com

sissy sissy

youtube is a good source for some ideas.I just mow also as long as it is mowed I am happy

sissy, Nov 12, 2017
  13. ExpertPruning.com

Rajesh

Can I get a bigger picture of this, please?

Rajesh, Nov 13, 2017
  14. ExpertPruning.com

Rajesh

Less water, more evaporation, may end up with dry running pump!

Rajesh, Nov 13, 2017
  15. ExpertPruning.com

Lisak1

I stole it off the internet @Rajesh . And if you're concerned about your water evaporating and your pump running dry, build a bigger reservoir. What's underground is no reflection of what's up top. Your underground storage can be ten times what you need if you want. We've seen rainwater storage units that are 6000 gallons and they just have a few small bubbling boulders on top to keep the water moving. Minimum size is big enough to hold ALL the water when the pump is turned off and the water all drains into the reservoir. Maximum size is up to you.

Here's our pondless waterfall which holds 100 gallons of water - we top it off maybe once every two weeks or so and only during the hottest weeks. Spring and fall we never need to refill. (Now that ice is a different story - I had to pull the plug once that started as the damming would both force water out and all that ice represents water that is no longer circulating. Plus it would be hard to fill through that icy topper!

Pondless under ice.jpg

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
    Lisak1, Nov 13, 2017
    sissy likes this.
  16. ExpertPruning.com

ExpertPruning.com

Yea the elevation is definitely too high in my sketch. I was thinking of simply placing a large boulder in the corner and have that serve as the highpoint.

So are the rocks I show in the picture good enough?

How do I avoid a second pump? Should I dig deep enough, and put ecoblocks under everything?

ExpertPruning.com, Nov 15, 2017
  17. ExpertPruning.com

MrTint

If your worried about sump drying up then put a Auto top off in the sump if you have a near by water supply. Tap into that. If not you can tap into a sprinkler zone. Just watch that zone a couple weeks or hotter months because if the ATO is running the head pressure on you sprinkler may not be enough to give you the right coverage

MrTint, Nov 15, 2017
  18. ExpertPruning.com

Rajesh

You need to solve this before anyone go ahead with building pondless waterfall including me!;):LOL:

water flow.jpg

Rajesh, Nov 15, 2017
  19. ExpertPruning.com

Lisak1

I guess I’m confused why you think you need the second pump. A pondless is a simple circulating water feature - pump in the reservoir pumps water to the top where it flows back down to the reservoir. The reservoir itself is filled with the blocks and topped with stone to conceal the blocks.

And technically any rocks are “good enough” - it’s more of an aesthetic concern. What type of rock are you showing us? Are they soft or porous? Sharp rocks aren’t a great choice either. Personally I wouldn’t use those rocks, but it’s not my yard!

Lisak1, Nov 15, 2017
  20. ExpertPruning.com

ExpertPruning.com

The idea was to have the waterfall split in two. One direction would descend down to the lowest point to the left, where the pump is located. The second direction would flow to the right. However, how can I have the water go towards the right, when the pump is to the left? (I hope this makes sense)

I don't know very much about rocks to be honest. I dug those up while planting trees in my yard. I've seen them called "Baja Cresta" rocks (at least they look identical). I don't know how soft or porous they are.

When you say you wouldn't use those rocks, for what reason? The color? Size? Shape?

I really appreciate your input. I need all the advice I can get!

ExpertPruning.com, Nov 16, 2017
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question