Is this flow rate enough?

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Just upgraded my pond, its now 1800l from 400l. My pump is rated at 1900 LPH (Laguna PowerClear Multi 3500). I have 25mm hose connected directly to the base output (disconnected the waterfall connector) that bypass to two external filters (1st external filter feeds the second filter back to pond)
I measure the flow rate going back into the pond which is only 660 LPH. (fills 11l per 60 secs)

The stock is 14x6" goldfish.
Is the flow rate enough?

I do have a spare Hozelock Cascade 1500, which I measured its flow rate at 1200 LPH (20l per 60 secs). However it doesn't have a UV.
Should I ditch the Laguna PowerClear Multi 3500 for the Hozelock Cascade 1500?

Last edited:

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
With your present configuration, I would say that your 1900 lpg pump is too small. For this stocking level (14 x 6" goldfish), you need a flow rate of at least 2700 lph with biofiltration compatible to this higher flow rate.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Just upgraded my pond, its now 1800l from 400l. My pump is rated at 1900 LPH (Laguna PowerClear Multi 3500). I have 25mm hose connected directly to the base output (disconnected the waterfall connector) that bypass to two external filters (1st external filter feeds the second filter back to pond)
I measure the flow rate going back into the pond which is only 660 LPH. (fills 11l per 60 secs)

The stock is 14x6" goldfish.
Is the flow rate enough?

I do have a spare Hozelock Cascade 1500, which I measured its flow rate at 1200 LPH (20l per 60 secs). However it doesn't have a UV.
Should I ditch the Laguna PowerClear Multi 3500 for the Hozelock Cascade 1500?
u have 2 pumps then u can use them both to good effect , i use spare pump for additional water fall at the day time to increase flow and aeration and i switch it off at nite , it also depends from which ways ,filters and obstacles water is flowing in the process to have gas exchange even if its 600LPH , if its going thru few medias and dropping from fall its doing quite bit for fishes .

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Rated for 1900 lpg, but only 660 lpg

A 1900 lph pump is not sufficient for this high of a fish load in this size pond. You need at least 1.5 times the volume of the pond being circulated per hour. This equates to a 2700 lph pump or more correctly a pump that will supply 2700 lph.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
from my understanding ur not overstocked neither lacking flow , rule is 1 inch fish per 1 Gallon so ur pond has 475G , ur fish is 14x6 ie 84 inch

other rule is circulating once total water for goldfish . ur fulfilling that in a way that ur fish load is less then its capacity . as recommended flow for pond without fish is half , i believe its more about filter media and design aswell as aeration these things are important then u can even have many more in same system .

am i missing something.... u can have 15 more easily if u can cycle pondwater once per hour

Last edited:

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
rule is 1 inch fish per 1 Gallon

If this were true then one could have 4 24" Koi in 96 gallons of water. The idea that the stocking levels for goldfish differ from the levels for Koi is erroneous. A 6" fish, regardless of specie, will. with few exceptions, generate about 6 mg/l of Ammonia per day.
The only difference is that Goldfish are a more durable and forgiving fish than Koi, but that does not justify not providing the healthiest, stress-free environment possible.

as recommended flow for pond without fish

Water flow (circulation) in a fish-less pond is not essential and can be omitted.

Ask a Question