sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I just use a led grow bulb on a timer that goes on after midnight until 7 am .Rates on electricity are cheaper then .The bulb was 5 dollars .

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
The thing is that if you save them you have plants earlier than anyone will have them in stock and you know where they came from and that they are clean .I set up a huge fish tank I got for free in front of my basement window so this year some will go in there .I really save by giving some to my garden center in trade for things that I want and they get early plants also

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I get it - I was just poking a little fun at @Gemma . I've done far crazier things, believe me!

But I will say - the water hyacinths appear in garden centers here right around the time I would be able to put them in my pond so it wouldn't be a time saver in my case.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Here you are lucky to get them at the only garden center that carries them in June .Our season starts in April and even sometimes in March .If I can catch some of the baby fish for them they will take more of them also for trade Bartering for things is fun and a treasure hunt

MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Go for it! Hey, I spent hundreds on the greenhouse insulation and new raised cold frames to grow lettuce, spinach and scallions during the colder months. Those are going to be some expensive salads, but sometimes the fun and the hobby are the most important thing.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
But moonshadow just think no recalls on the bagged stuff that the stores have and the fuel costs to go get it .When you have the munch's you know where to get it also .Safer food is always better to eat .

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I won't point out that you spent $30 to save a $4 plant... ;)
LOL You had to go there didn't ya
I have to say that here are sold by 3 count and hardly ever less than 10 or 15 dollars .I ended up having to buy mine online because no one was selling them around here, so add shipping to that, and then you add the possibility of getting fish eggs like @MitchM did, or diseases, or weird Algae...

Not everything I do is to save money, I'm pretty sure I do most cause it makes me feel independent
Just wish me luck!:)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I get it - I was just poking a little fun at @Gemma .

poke away, fun is good!
smthumbup.gif

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I won't mention my led grow lights.....................

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I'm hoping my parrot's feather stays rooted in the jars I've got it in, over the winter. I worry about "stuff" on plants I purchase, and this saves me from having to QT them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Go for it! Hey, I spent hundreds on the greenhouse insulation and new raised cold frames to grow lettuce, spinach and scallions during the colder months. Those are going to be some expensive salads, but sometimes the fun and the hobby are the most important thing.

have you posted this up yet? I'm thinking to add a greenhouse next year and considered making it partially winterized for some crops as well, thanks in advance

Ask a Question