is this ick?

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I have a 6 inch Shusui koi and on his front fins he has some white spots. The spots are not stark white, they are kind of a faded white. He seems to be moving around perfectly fine but I also noticed that his barbells are curled upwards which is something new for him. The salt levels are fine along with no ammonia, and nitrates/nitrites are fine. He and all the other fish are eating normally.

I started treating for ick about 5 days ago and I think that is what has made the spots fade a little.... no other fish (kois and comets) have these spots. Could it be something other than ick? How long does it usually take for the ick to clear if that is what it is?

Thanks for any suggestions

Reaction score
hey guys,

Man, I must have taken about 30 pictures trying to get a good photo of him but no luck. The spots did look like salt specs. If it is ick I think it is in the phase where the fish has dropped the cyst since I do not see the white spots on his fins and I can see the marks and indentations where they were. I am still treating the tank daily so hopefully it will get them as they break out of the cyst and start floating around.

Reaction score
Hi DrDave, I keep my salt levels in the tank at around .10% - .11%. He doesn't look any worse for wear, he is still eating and his breathing does not look labored. A couple years ago this fish had a nasty infection of some sort on his bottom lip that actually eroded some of it away... a course of Melafix and Pimafix fixed it that time.... not sure if they are at all related.

When your fish have a case of ick what do you guys use? I had read that Malachite Green was the best thing to use but the place I went didn't have it so I got a brown organic liquid named "Ick Attack" from a company named Kordon AquaHerbals.

Thanks,
Brian

Ask a Question