is this Shubunkin bloated?

Reaction score
[ame]

It started looking like this a few days ago. The scales are raised up too. I feed them small goldfish pellets. The pellets are dry but I crush them up so they soak up water faster.

You can see it at 2:00 into the video pretty good. :redface:

Reaction score
[ame]

It started looking like this a few days ago. The scales are raised up too. I feed them small goldfish pellets. The pellets are dry but I crush them up so they soak up water faster.

You can see it at 2:00 into the video pretty good. :redface:

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
Hes got dropsy!!! Almost always fatal...chances are very slim of a recovery...i would put him down humanely....a bag of water him and a couple ice cubes and put it in the freezer...add a drop of clove oil to the bag if you have any and shake it up before adding fish..it works as an anesthetic

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
Hes got dropsy!!! Almost always fatal...chances are very slim of a recovery...i would put him down humanely....a bag of water him and a couple ice cubes and put it in the freezer...add a drop of clove oil to the bag if you have any and shake it up before adding fish..it works as an anesthetic

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I had a Koi with Dropsy. It was so bloated, I thought his eyes were going to burst. I placed him into a HT and treated with Tetracycline for several days. Within 4 hours of treatment he went from upside down in the tank, to swimming slowly upright. By the next day, he was active and in a week all the scales looked normal again.

You can get Fish Cycline at a livestock feed store. 100 capsules are about $18.00. Do it now before it is too late.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I had a Koi with Dropsy. It was so bloated, I thought his eyes were going to burst. I placed him into a HT and treated with Tetracycline for several days. Within 4 hours of treatment he went from upside down in the tank, to swimming slowly upright. By the next day, he was active and in a week all the scales looked normal again.

You can get Fish Cycline at a livestock feed store. 100 capsules are about $18.00. Do it now before it is too late.

Reaction score
thanks everyone I just put him in his own Tetracycline induced coma. I had a goldfish that had a swimbladder infection that I nursed him threw. I will try the same for this little guy.

Reaction score
thanks everyone I just put him in his own Tetracycline induced coma. I had a goldfish that had a swimbladder infection that I nursed him threw. I will try the same for this little guy.

Reaction score
Wow he looks so much better in 2 days! his scales are not raised up and his eyes are not bulging out anymore. how much longer do you guys recommend I keep him quarantined? He is in a 2 gallon container.

Reaction score
Wow he looks so much better in 2 days! his scales are not raised up and his eyes are not bulging out anymore. how much longer do you guys recommend I keep him quarantined? He is in a 2 gallon container.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Good, the meds were done in time. Amazing how that works!
Do water changes and follow the directions on your bottle. I kept mine in a QT for several weeks but mine was 85 gallons. Can't you find anything larger? 2 gallons is like Russian Roulette with a fish this size.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Good, the meds were done in time. Amazing how that works!
Do water changes and follow the directions on your bottle. I kept mine in a QT for several weeks but mine was 85 gallons. Can't you find anything larger? 2 gallons is like Russian Roulette with a fish this size.

Ask a Question