Is this sign of leak? or Evaporation/splash out

Reaction score
Hi,

I've been dealing with some water loss issues. Right now the water level is below the skimmer screws and still losing water. I just don't know if its from evaporation and splash out or if there's a different leak?

I've attached some photos.

The 1st picture shows 24 hours after I put the rock at the edge of the water line, you can see that the water receded about an inch away from the rock.

The next picture shows where I moved the rock to the water edge again, then the next picture shows 24 hours after that you can see the dry spot growing in size so on and so forth with the next pictures.

I also took a picture of the water level by the skimmer, along with where I'm losing some water to splash out from how we have the pump setup currently. It's shooting out of the pond and back into it to keep oxygenating the water, but there's some splash out.

Could anyone with experience in this take a look and let me know what I can/should do to get this fixed?

Thanks!

Attachments

• waterlevel24hoursaftertouchingrock.jpg
    waterlevel24hoursaftertouchingrock.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 284
  • rockwaterlevel2.jpg
    rockwaterlevel2.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 298
  • rockwaterlevel24hrsafterlevel2.jpg
    rockwaterlevel24hrsafterlevel2.jpg
    164.5 KB · Views: 294
  • rockwaterlevel3.jpg
    rockwaterlevel3.jpg
    165.4 KB · Views: 276
  • mostcurrentwaterlevel.jpg
    mostcurrentwaterlevel.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 342
  • skimmerlevel.jpg
    skimmerlevel.jpg
    165.1 KB · Views: 315
  • potentialsplashout.jpg
    potentialsplashout.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 273
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
I dont have a Liner on my pond but I'd say yes it is most probably from the skimmer pipe check your jubilee clips they may have come loose in the heat ?

Dave

herzausstahl

herzausstahl
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Step one is to turn off the pump to the water feature, fill the pond back up, and see how low the water level gets. Only let it sit for a day or two, if you have a leak it should drain faster than normal for evaporation. See where it stops and troubleshoot everything at that level. I don't have a skimmer but if it stops below the screws for the opening, make sure it's sealed properly (pipes as Dave said and where the plate is screwed around the liner). If it doesn't drop drastically, check your water feature for diverted water causing the leak. Good luck, I have to troubleshoot a similar problem in a water feature I built for my mother in law.

Reaction score
Step one is to turn off the pump to the water feature, fill the pond back up, and see how low the water level gets. Only let it sit for a day or two, if you have a leak it should drain faster than normal for evaporation. See where it stops and troubleshoot everything at that level. I don't have a skimmer but if it stops below the screws for the opening, make sure it's sealed properly (pipes as Dave said and where the plate is screwed around the liner). If it doesn't drop drastically, check your water feature for diverted water causing the leak. Good luck, I have to troubleshoot a similar problem in a water feature I built for my mother in law.

That's what we are in the process of doing, unfortunately I'm not sure what's acceptable as the "normal for evaporation", hence I submitted these pictures and this thread. With the amount of water recession you see in the pictures over 24 hour intervals, would you say that that's about how much I can expect to lose from evaporation or a leak?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Get a bucket of water and mark the water level. The water level should decrease due to evaporation by roughly the same as your pond with water features turned off.

That looks excessive for 24 hours to me...

Ask a Question