IS THIS WATERFALL IDEA POSSIBLE?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
We have a little concrete water feature that we've had for 15 or so years. It's a 1-tier waterfall, the whole thing is about 3 feet tall. The basin/reservoir holds a few gallons. The pump sits in the bottom reservoir and pumps water up about a foot, where it then takes 2 separate routes, ending back in the reservoir. Got it at HOME DEPOT a year or so after moving to this house. We've had issues as the outside, back porch circuit isn't a dedicated circuit (also isn't a GFIC). The GFIC issue is about to be remedied. Hubby was commenting that we needed to get the fountain operating again, but I reminded him that, "Hey, we're about to have the real deal -- why resurrect the old one!".

So the question came up about taking this fountain, and with modifications, letting it be part of the pond waterfall system. I think the outflow from the filter could run into the top tier, with some tweaking, and then what ends up in the reservoir could overflow into the pond. The reservoir is a decent catch basin with a half-round profile.

Also, we'd almost have to cover (veneer?) the exterior surfaces. The fountain was painted (it looks painted, but maybe that is a veneer) a white color which has been cracking & peeling off over time. Guess we'd need to get all the old stuff off first. The surface is made to look like "natural" rock.

Does this sound doable: 1) incorporating the fountain as part of the waterfall, and 2) putting a veneer on the surface. Guess I should have mentioned that I was planning to make a faux-rock waterfall anyway, so matching textures & color seems like an easy do if I'm starting from scratch with a clean surface.

Would appreciate your ideas and suggestions about how to carry it out.

SE18

David V
Reaction score
can you take some photos of it? If there's no cracks in the concrete, it sounds do-able. You can use paint (Lockcrete or locktite, forgot the name). 2 coats over concrete; it comes in a couple colors but you could add colors over it once it dries; the waterproof paint is cheap insurance, relatively cheap compared with the alternatives; as a last resort, you could put a liner in the concrete and even add concrete over the liner (sandwich); many ways to do it

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Will try for a few pics I can download. Anyway, gotta get some pond pics in general 'cause we're planning to install the liner today. Will deal with the w/fall after that stage is completed.

Ask a Question