Is this wood too close to the water to stain?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
We're not sure what to do with our cap boards. They're untreated wood. I have stain for the sides of the pond, but I'm not sure what to do with these cap boards. As you can see from the photo, at no point do they hang over the pond. But, splashing in a hard rain could be a factor.

I have a can of generic waterproofing stain I got at Lowes. We didn't go with composite cap boards because I plan to change it up in a few years an install a bog in a raised box. Until then, does anyone have suggestions? The pond is 300g, and I'm not sure how much I need to worry about a splash here and there. We've also thought about painting them; would that be toxic at all? Are there pond products I'm not aware of?

Thanks for suggestions.

Laura

Attachments

• 20140504_171355.jpg
    20140504_171355.jpg
    223.4 KB · Views: 270

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Laura- once the stain is dry it should not be a problem. If the stain can be used on a deck then it should be safe for fish. Just be careful while applying it so none gets in the pond.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
water based stain is best ,won't last as long as oil based .

Ask a Question