Is treated tapwater safe for ponds?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I'm new to ponding and I have a small 2 x 1 meter pond, it's about 60cm deep. There's a 3-in-1 filter, pump and fountain in it and 8 small goldfish.

About a month ago, the pond was full to the very top and almost overflowing, but it's now down to half that level and seemed to drop for no reason. It's never done this in previous years, although I have 2 small pots of pond plants in there now. It has settled at the halfway level, but does go down by about 1cm per day.

I can only assume that I have a leak, and the pond has always been covered I don't think it's been warm enough to loose much water through evaporation and not windy enough to blow the fountain water away.

I used all of the water butt water previously and I've run out. Is treated tap water ok to use? I bought "Interpet Tapsafe" from amazon which says it should work. I guess it must be ok to use, but I could wait a little long for it to rain if that would be better?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Tapwater is safe, as long as it's safe for you to drink! You do want to de-chlorinate it, if you're in an area where chlorine is present. You can also use tapwater that's been allowed to sit for at least 24 hours as the chlorine will dissipate from the water.

Many leaks are related to plumbing - maybe you have a leak somewhere in a pipe? Unless all your plumbing is internal. Tell us a little more about your pond - is it a lined pond? Concrete? How is it plumbed? We love a good leak mystery!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Yes. Just be sure to follow the directions.

Have you done any sleuthing yet to try & discover the source, if there is a leak? Smaller ponds will loose water faster than larger ones.

Also, do you have a water test kit? You might want to test your water in the pond and from your tap source. Find out the pH & other properties of both.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you, I'll top it up with this water and treatment tomorrow morning. I'll make another topic about the leak and explain a little more, as I hope it's fixable.

Ask a Question