Isolating our pump was not a good idea

Reaction score
Desoto, Texas (Dallas County) North Texas, Zone 8a
Showcase(s):
When initially installing our Tertra Debris Handling Underwater pump I thought it a good idea to surround it with stones larger than the pump plus a flat slab stone on top. My theory was this enclosure would shield the pump from excess debris. During this years spring cleaning the pump was pulled and I was shocked o see it was completely full of gunk. There were snails in every grid opening. To the DHP3600's credit it still provided good water transmission to the Tera Bio-Active flushable filter then back to the pond. After the pumps outer shell was removed and all areas cleaned it was placed in an open area so water circulates freely. Water circulation is more powerful than ever! This new position will also make cleaning a breeze. An important lesson.

Last edited:

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
all pumps in the water should be cleaned at least 3 times a year .What happened was you made it dark which gave every thing a chance to grow and snails to hide .I learned about that from my first pond ,inclosed it in a crate with furnace filter around the sides and what a mess .

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
My pump is just laying down there w/very long tubing attached to it and then the prefilter attached to the end of the tubing. The prefilter has a rope tied to a rock up top for easier lifting to clean. The tubing doesn't have to be that long but I just hate to cut it off. I'll prolly buy another piece of tubing eventually and save that long piece for something else.

Reaction score
Desoto, Texas (Dallas County) North Texas, Zone 8a
Showcase(s):
My pump is just laying down there w/very long tubing attached to it and then the prefilter attached to the end of the tubing. The prefilter has a rope tied to a rock up top for easier lifting to clean. The tubing doesn't have to be that long but I just hate to cut it off. I'll prolly buy another piece of tubing eventually and save that long piece for something else.

Do you ever have any pond problems? Do you live in Stepford? Do you have a Stepford pond with Stepford fish and Stepford plants? OMG JW, are you a Stepford wife? :confused:

Reaction score

You may already be aware of this, but if you cut the hose to needed length, you will get more flow.

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
I don't like the those type of pumps either. I have a pump with an intake hose and I attach 4 prefilters to it. When the prefilters get gunked up, I take them out and clean them. I hardly ever touch the pump.

I used to have a pump without an intake hose and I had to lift that thing up every so often by the cord and that was a PITA. Pumps without intake hoses should be against the law.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Lou I think I'm in the land of the lost right now trying to figure out what you are saying :LOL:

diesel, yep I know but I have such good flow right now w/ my 2400 gal pump to my falls that it doesn't really matter. I just want a shorter one so I don't have to deal w/ the giant snake thing trying to get it out of there to clean the prefilter :)

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
Lou I think I'm in the land of the lost right now trying to figure out what you are saying :LOL:
Without looking it up, I think he's saying you're too perfect!
You are going to find it hilarious when you look it up. Because Lou, j.w. is the antithesis of a Stepford wife!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
My husband would disagree that I am perfect but he does say that he thinks that I think I am all the time. I can never be wrong he says all the time. I am a woman,what do you expect....................imperfection?
WHAT IS THAT

Stepford wife:
1.) Used to describe a servile, compliant, submissive, spineless wife who happily does her husband's bidding and serves his every whim dutifully.

Ha ha ha......................my husband would wish I was one of those....................I am just the opposite in fact

Now I did say that I lost two tiny fish over the winter didn't I in another post..................so there not everything is perfect and I do get kidney stones also

Reaction score

What do you use for a 'prefilter'? Mine just goes into a pressure flo, should I have something else before that?

Thanks.

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
My fridge hoarder wife was a Stepford girlfriend but she morphed back into her real form the day after we were married. Since then, she has evolved into her Mom!

slakker

AKA Mike
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
I found these hose couplers that make taking the pump in and out for cleaning a breeze. The images I found are barbed, but they also make a threaded type, so threaded onto the pump, quick connect the barbed into the hose.

8154239.jpg

8154429.jpg

Ask a Question