Issue using second piece of liner for waterfall?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
After getting pond nearly done and doing some back filling, I’m not a little too taught with my liner reaching up to the waterfall faceplate. I feel like I could make it happen but there would be very little if any slack so figured that could cause some issues.

Is there an issue with cutting a piece of the excel liner I have around sides of my pond? (Have about 3 feet on either side) and use that as liner to attach to my faceplate and drape the “tail” of the liner (I’d cut a long piece to make sure it went down in pond above existing liner) down and over existing liner and rock over that?

Thanks in advance!

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
That would work just make sure where you cut it from, you don't leave yourself short. The method you described is how my Savio waterfall filters done.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
You can indeed use a separate piece of liner for your waterfall. Just make sure that BOTH pieces have enough overlap - the pond side also needs to come far enough UP the falls (and be sufficiently anchored) so it doesn't find it's way down the side. And the falls piece should overlap as far down the other piece as possible.

You're getting close!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
As @Lisak1 says, this is totally doable; I did exactly this. Just make sure the pond piece comes well above the water line and the waterfall piece overlaps with it. If you are anywhere close to short, you might want to think about buying a new piece (10x10 or whatever) to do the waterfall.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Same for me, used some extra pieces. Run the waterfall for a few days before putting in the final touches. I found some areas where water was pooling and trickling out under rocks, which was not visible. Easy solution to divert the water but glad I caught it. The thought of coming home and the pond drained from a waterfall gone wild makes me nervous all the time.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thanks everyone! I will definitely make sure the piece is large enough and will buy a new piece if needed from local pond supply place. The lower, original, liner goes well up the sides and gets to the waterfall just not up and over it with any slack.

Just want to make sure I can tuck everything in ensuring too ouece remains over the top of bottom piece like a roof shingle.

I’ll take some pics tonight to add

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Same for me, used some extra pieces. Run the waterfall for a few days before putting in the final touches. I found some areas where water was pooling and trickling out under rocks, which was not visible. Easy solution to divert the water but glad I caught it. The thought of coming home and the pond drained from a waterfall gone wild makes me nervous all the time.

It still make you nervous?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
It still make you nervous?
yeah, I've had nightmares that my pond drained over night ...
monitor your water levels for a few weeks, i just finished mine last week and the water level looks okay, still need to hook up to the bog though.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
It still makes me nervous too. I put watercress in my waterfall (I have an intermediate cascading pool) and if I don't stay on top of it, it can block the flow enough that water starts to seep out.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Well, I may just remove some and start all over then. I don’t want that daily anxiety in my life.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
To be clear, my fear of the waterfall draining the pond has nothing to do with the two pieces of liner. You're flowing water out of your pond and if you don't make sure it all gets back in, you'll lower the pond level.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Got some Nervous Nellies here! haha! I've never worried a single day about my waterfall leaking and we did exactly what you're proposing - on purpose. Our bog/waterfall liner was one piece, the pond liner is a second piece. It's very common even amount professional pond builders to have separate pieces of liner. Be mindful of your construction and you'll be fine.

Now, I have an edge that I KNOW is wrong and it plagues me, man... it's the stuff of nightmares! I know I should fix it, but... so much work! haha!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Got some Nervous Nellies here! haha! I've never worried a single day about my waterfall leaking and we did exactly what you're proposing - on purpose. Our bog/waterfall liner was one piece, the pond liner is a second piece. It's very common even amount professional pond builders to have separate pieces of liner. Be mindful of your construction and you'll be fine.

Now, I have an edge that I KNOW is wrong and it plagues me, man... it's the stuff of nightmares! I know I should fix it, but... so much work! haha!

Thats great to hear. I wasn't too nervous about this at all, just haven't found any videos online on exactly how to do it. I mean it seems pretty straight forward with common sense. Just make sure new liner used for waterfall is over the top of the below liner which is up above water level. All are then held down in place by rocks.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Did you cut away the excess liner yet?

I sure did. Did this yesterday, and are good to go. More than enough to drape over the waterfall for weir attachment, and plenty long to make sure it goes over the bottom piece of liner (which is up and above waterline). Tucked it all in behind rocks and on top of original piece of liner that is in the pond.

Should be all set, and will then be held in with the rocks and water pressure once filled.

I think I did it all correct? :)

Ask a Question