It came with the house

Reaction score
Country
United States
Just bought a house in Upstate South Carolina. The house has a pretty fish pond in the front. Small, 10'x5'-ish kidney shaped. Has a couple of plants (I recognize the water lily - healthy, repeated blooms. I haven't identified the other plant yet a tall stalk critter. Looks mostly healthy, but has some dead stalks that need to be removed.) Has several goldfish/koi/??? fish, at least 4-5. Biggest is about 4", smallest maybe 2".
The pond has a functioning 4000l Pressure Bio Filter w UV light, and a Terra Pond Cylinder Pre-Filter. We have cleaned them both a couple of times. There is also a small waterfall effect and a long-spitting Frog. They currently are running constantly except when the filters get clogged.
I don't know what condition the pond was in before, but it sat neglected for at least a month during July/August during negotiations. The water is murky and green, obviously algae. I suspect the bottom of the pond is full of muck.
I suspect the whole thing needs to be drained and cleaned. I have quite a list of questions which I hope to post in the appropriate forums.
I look forward to helping this little pond recover.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our group!

Post some pictures when you can.

ZEROPILOT

Faster than you are.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a-10b
Country
United States
Hello.
I'm "from" upstate South Carolina. Grew up in Columbia and Fort Mill.
I'm jealous.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
welcome and congrats for new house and pond , how deep is it and how many inches of bottom mud ?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'll have to take some pics. & more specific measurements.
How do I determine how much mud is in the bottom? I can't see anywhere near the bottom because of the murky green water.
I will have to get a test kit as well.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
How do I determine how much mud is in the bottom? I can't see anywhere near the bottom because of the murky green water.
Take a stick and gently push it down until you hit bottom, see if you can feel where you start hitting muck to where you hit the bottom.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Welcome to the group and good luck with your pond! :)

ashirley

Annie in SC
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Welcome! I am in Upstate SC. I live in Chester but work in York County. Can't wait to see pics. You will get great information from this group. Everyone is so helpful and not judgmental of newbies.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
upload_2017-9-15_9-4-56.gif
@GuppieWTR If you could buy a long handled screened scoop net and scoop out most of the gunk from the bottom and keep most of your pond water it would benefit the fish. Once you get most of the heavy gunk out your filter will have an easier time cleaning the rest of the water.
upload_2017-9-15_9-11-39.jpeg

upload_2017-9-15_9-12-2.jpeg

Reaction score
Country
United States
Guppie here again. BUSY moving.
We had a pond consultant come take a look at our poor green pond. On his advice, and the investigations by Dear Hubby, we got new UV bulbs for the large filter and the Spitting Frog filter. The water has gotten MUCH better. We can see the ledge around the pond, and even the bases of the plants.
Now that we can see more, we also discovered more fish, for a total of Nine! We can also see the sludge layer. :yuck:
We have engaged the young man to come help me clean out the pond before winter sets in.
The fish all seem in good condition except one. He/She is one of the large ones, one of the tri-colors. He looks... lumpy, and filmy, as if his scales were not laying down flat. My limited knowledge of fish suggests he is not healthy (age Unknown). When we get them out to clean the pond, I suspect he may go to the Big Sushi Bar in the Sky. :sorry: But better to remove him than let him transmit an ailment to the others.
We have determined that we have a leak somewhere in the pond/liner, or hose system. From full, the water level drops 3-4" in a couple of days, but then stabilizes. I am researching pond liners in case I need to have one on hand on cleaning day. Any suggestions on that search? Sources, best choices, etc?
Oh, yes, I have determined the pond is 'amoeba' shaped, and holds about 415 gallons of water.
If we get a sunny day, I will try to get a decent pic to post. But it is not much to look at yet. Give me time. :shy:

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The cleaning you are having done, make sure the liner is not scrubbed clean. Just get the muck removed. You will be facing new pond syndrome just as winter settles in.

Ask a Question