It finally happended... a bullfrog....

Reaction score
Country
United States
So, I've taken pride with all the green frogs that have taken up residence in my pond and decided to breed there, along with all the tadpoles that have successfully morphed into a fingernail-sized frog and climbed out to experience life, and during breeding season, inundated with wood and gray frogs and their tadpoles that grew up too.

Have 2 resident male greenfrogs, that have territory at opposite ends of the pond. I'll mimic them with a "ruuump, ruump, ruuuuuump, ewhooo?.... ewhoo ewhoo?" which is funny as they'll then start up, sometimes even with each other (fyi, many frogs will respond to crude impersonations and calls from other frogs, even if fake or audio recording; birds are the same way).

So usually every day, I'll go out, walk up to the pond, call out to the males that are either in a rock crevice or in their territory waiting on their girlfriend to come over. They'll usually call back, then I'm off to fix/rebuild something the previous homeowner neglected for the last 25 years. Other times I'll grab a few earth worms and toss them near the shore or onto the lily pads, which will usually cause said stoic frogs to break character and gobble it up, sometimes within a second of it hitting the ground. Other times they'll pull one into the water, akin to an alligator waiting near a shore. Lily pads they'll just pop up from under the surface and ambush the poor worm.

Well, Thursday I did my call out routine, scanned the pond to find where everyone was at, then a double take. In the area where the one green frog male has been for about the last 2 months, was the biggest bullfrog I think I've ever seen in person, resting on the green frog's log! First thought was "oh no." Guessing he was a few years old at least, and probably in excess of 8" and probably double that if including the legs. Then a certain fear crept in. How many green frogs did he eat? Is the bullfrog fungus in the pond now? Followed by a surreal sensation that this giant frog's appearance and guinea pig-sized head with giant eyes elicited. Easily spooked, it swam under the crystal clear water and I watched it hide at the OPPOSITE end.

Anyhow, panic set in. I quickly built a net handle out of 3/4" plastic conduit, had some webbing material to meant to protect trees from deer, and about 8' of scrap house electrical wire. Ran the cable through every other hole of the netting material, formed a hoop, jammed two pieces of conduit together, then forced the 2 ends of cable into the conduit and homemade, 12' frog net was created.

Knowing I could catch him at night with a flashlight was last resort. Catching him then and there was a priority. Only he was more elusive than you'd think. Guessing with size and age, comes inherent bumps in intelligence. He popped up from a lilly pad, I put net over him. He went under water. I lifted net, he popped right back up in the same spot! Like, you have to be kidding. Remember thinking this frog has a pair! After a few more attempts around the pond, eventually he refused to surface in the open. Decided to wait until dark, and using a 3000 lumen LED in a clamp lamp with extension cord, I immediately spot him on a gravel path that runs right next to the pond outer banking. Cord gets snagged, so I set the lamp down. He hears the clank and gets spooked, ignores the lighting and hops closer to the banking. Quickly unsnag and turn around, he's gone. 20 minutes go by searching the perimeter, and can't find him. Might as well be daylight I'm shining. Can easily spot 3" green frogs in 10" of grass, but not some NBA player-sized bullfrog. He apparently snuck back into the pond and I eventually spot him at the OPPOSITE end again. To put it into perspective, he heard the clank, moved, when I wasn't looking, jumped back onto the banking with the high grass, hopped 6' down a slope, silently entered the water vs. a plop, then swam to the opposite end of where he entered! Felt like I was trying to corner a field mouse in an old barn.

Now knowing what was at stake, I kept the light high, akin to a spotlight, aimed in his general direction and quietly walked the perimeter. Untested net in hand, light in other, made sure to keep it on him (for those unaware, light at night, even from a cell phone, when shined on or towards basically any frog, either blinds them or causes them to freeze, similar to a deer in headlights making catching by hand possible) and very carefully popped the net on him. Took him a full second to react. Next thing I know, he's fighting the net like a small mouth bass on the line. Couldn't believe the strength this guy had. Waited a minute for him tire out, then WELL away from the pond, got him into a 5 gallon and quickly snapped the lid on it. Probably 2 hours spent catching this sneaky bugger.

Was definitely worth catching and the learning experience. Had yet to hear him call him out, so looks like he was still settling in by himself. Been watching pond like a hawk and so far no others for now. And the greenfrog got to keep his home!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I have two pairs of resident adult bullfrogs in my pond, as well as numerous green frogs and pickerel frogs. Seasonally I have Wood frogs, Cope's Gray tree frogs & of course toads that come in to spawn. Somehow they all seem to manage to get along & strike a balance. The only wild critters that I've relocated out of the pond were one snapping turtle who was decimating my water lilies (plus, I really like my toes...) and a copperhead who turned up in one of my skimmer baskets. Other than that, everyone's welcome, even our resident Northern Water snake at this point (she's still small enough to only be taking out fish fry & the smaller frogs, which I'll just chalk up to basic population control. I'd be up to my armpits in frogs if they all stayed!!)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
For me I had one bullfrog and only one bullfrog in my pond for 3 years. Getting larger and larger. So this past spring I finally caught him and relocated him to a river across the county. And what do you know? For the first time in years I have a small group of green frogs now living in my pond.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Like @BKHpondcritters have bullfrogs, green frogs, pickerel frogs, tree frogs in the pond together they all seem to coexist just fine. Do the bullfrogs eat the other frogs in my pond …..maybe, but there are still a lot of them around and have been for years.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I find it fascinating that different people/ponds have such different experiences with bullfrogs & whether or not they can coexist with other frogs. Maybe it has to do with the size of the pond, or rather how extensive the hiding places are for them? or maybe the surrounding area/habitat outside of the pond?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I was so excited to have an American Bronze Frog this year. He was great. His call was cool - it was a short "heh." Sometimes with a little lead-in: "uh-HEH." It sounded a lot like James Brown, so that's what we named him. I haven't seen him in over a month. A few fish had disappeared in that time, too, so I fear the heron got him. That frog was my favorite part of ponding this year!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
We just kind of let the frogs take care of themselves. The bullfrogs come and go, the smaller frogs figure it out and move on or get eaten. We always have frogs of some sort around the pond so nature has her way of keeping the circle going.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
All are welcome with the exception of robins they tear up my moss ripping it apart and flipping it over looking for food. An endless battle with some of my edging. guess i'll have to find a new edge treatment

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
All are welcome with the exception of robins they tear up my moss ripping it apart and flipping it over looking for food. An endless battle with some of my edging. guess i'll have to find a new edge treatment
Uh @GBBUDD ? Are you sayin' sumthin' is robin you of yer moss enjoyment? That's the moss unusual story I've eva herd! Heh heh. Remover; 'twas you as told me to 'pun away'! :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
@Mr. Green Frog did you take a picture ? I know what you mean by their surprising strength when they figure out they're entrapped in the ple.net and begin to fight.

I didn't like my bull frog killing birds, nearly daily...so relocated him last summer. Haven't had as many frogs this year, just a couple.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I was so excited to have an American Bronze Frog this year. He was great. His call was cool - it was a short "heh." Sometimes with a little lead-in: "uh-HEH." It sounded a lot like James Brown, so that's what we named him. I haven't seen him in over a month. A few fish had disappeared in that time, too, so I fear the heron got him. That frog was my favorite part of ponding this year!
I agree! I love my fish, honestly I do, but.... the frogs (and plants) are my absolute favorite part of having a pond. Some frog shots from the past couple weeks (please forgive me if there are some duplicates. I'm have a hard time with the new photo insert mode on the forum, :confused:) It's a mix of green & bull frogs. Some grown, some mid-growth, some still sporting a tadpole butt! :
lilypad baby bullfrog 01.jpg

frog and lily scene 03.jpg
frogs hanging out 01.JPG
frogs hanging out 02.JPG
frogs and lily pads 03.jpg
frog leg tadpole 01.jpg
pond frogs late summer 02.jpg
pond frogs late summer 03.jpg

frog perching 01.JPG

This last one isn't so much a 'frog' shot, as a 'used to be frog' shot. That lump in Nessie? Yeah, I had just seen her gulp down a smallish bullfrog. (I have 'in progress' shots, but they're rather graphic & I wasn't going to post them unless requested... :cautious:
frog eating Nessie 01.JPG

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I agree! I love my fish, honestly I do, but.... the frogs (and plants) are my absolute favorite part of having a pond. Some frog shots from the past couple weeks (please forgive me if there are some duplicates. I'm have a hard time with the new photo insert mode on the forum, :confused:) It's a mix of green & bull frogs. Some grown, some mid-growth, some still sporting a tadpole butt! :
View attachment 142325
View attachment 142326View attachment 142327View attachment 142328View attachment 142329View attachment 142330View attachment 142331View attachment 142332
View attachment 142333
This last one isn't so much a 'frog' shot, as a 'used to be frog' shot. That lump in Nessie? Yeah, I had just seen her gulp down a smallish bullfrog. (I have 'in progress' shots, but they're rather graphic & I wasn't going to post them unless requested... :cautious:
View attachment 142334
Great pictures! All three of my nessies have disappeared. I found the skeleton of the huge one the others are just gone.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Thanks. We seem to be down to only one Nessie (not sure if the other one wandered off, or became part of the greater circle of life in some way...?) Haven't seen this one for a couple days either. After that rather large frog meal, she's probably sleeping it off somewhere.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have gone down looking a lot, also looking via the cams. No sightings now for weeks. I was actually enjoying seeing them, well except when they had fish in their mouths. But circle of life. They seemed to stay under the anti heron net, but maybe wandered out and one of our abundant hawks snagged them.

Ask a Question