addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Wish they would eat all the fruit here and haul the seeds far far away. We have so much of that stuff. Neat shot

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
You guys really do amazing photography. The difference from an amature to a professional is really huge. We are going on a very big "trip" this winter. ie huge waterfalls, lots of wild animals etc. Can you give me any advice about how to get the best pictures? Our daughter has been doing a lot of research and just bought a refurbished Nikon for the trip. Thanks! Keith

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I am in the process of teaching Tiger Cubs (first level of Cub Scouts -- 1st graders) about LEAVES and BIRDS [more specifically, telling what birds eat by the type of beak they have]. Beautiful picture of both categories, though ours, here, haven't 'turned' yet!

@addy1 I totally agree! I have a swatch of somthing on my arm [calling it PI for the benefit of the scouts] that I picked up camping 2 w/ends ago. It's nice to have an extra "show & tell" when you're teaching little kiddos, LOL!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have a swatch of somthing on my arm [calling it PI for the benefit of the scouts]
So far this summer I have managed to escape the poison ivy attack! This will be the first time I have made it through a summer without a PI attack.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Is it still growing out there now addy cuz there is still time left to grab a little dose of it. Just kidding, would hate for you to get that stuff ever again.
Wish you could eradicate it from your property forever!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It is growing everywhere, I have been very good at avoiding it this year.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
You guys really do amazing photography. The difference from an amature to a professional is really huge. We are going on a very big "trip" this winter. ie huge waterfalls, lots of wild animals etc. Can you give me any advice about how to get the best pictures? Our daughter has been doing a lot of research and just bought a refurbished Nikon for the trip. Thanks! Keith
Thanks for the comment. Congrats on the refurbished gear.

Waterfalls are fun to shot, tripods are a must if you want slow shutter speeds to slow the water movement, if you are in bright sun then a ND filter is a MUST to slow the water movement and expose the sky correctly. A camera release sometimes is needed to avoid moving the camera. The tripod will also assist in panorama shots. Remember to always level the camera when do waterfalls, landscape,etc.

Wildlife is a bit harder, use the longest reach you can in terms of a lens for most birds. Try to isolate the subject and not have a lot of distracting elements in the shot. If you can't get close enough try to get the animal with some interesting environment. Practice, practice and more practice is the best teacher with wildlife. Birds in flight is very hard at first but keep at it and it will become natural.

I use my cameras in manual mode, this will get the best results once you learn the camera. Read the manual and try to understand the functions. They are complicated pieces of equipment today and are capable of a lot. Try to practice first before the trip, if will make the trip much easier and enjoyable then getting all stressed over the camera.

The biggest mistake I see people make is not have the batteries charged, no room on memory cards, leaving the settings on the camera the same for all pictures.

Enjoy the trips, they sound fun. I will be more than happy to answer questions she has. My email is (e-mail address removed) if she or you prefer the phone PM me and I will give you my number.

I will not be able to answer directly about Nikon because I never shot with one but I can give the equivalent of Canon

Ask a Question