It's 70 degrees outside but I already stopped feeding my goldfish.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a: 0F to 5F
Hello. We normally stop feeding our (mid-Atlantic region) pond goldfish when the temperature consistently stays below 50 degrees F (10 degrees C). So we stopped feeding them several weeks ago, and now the temperature has been hitting 65-70 F for several days now. Is it best to NOT stop-then-start-then-stop feeding, or should we be feeding them on days that hit 60-70 degrees F? Our 10-day weather forecast is as follows. Thanks for the help. -- Evie
Local Temp F.JPG

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Yup, El Nino is playing havoc with the temperature norms this year.

I stopped feeding when I shut the pond down for the winter (coincidentally, that's when I ran out of pellets as well) around the last part of November. As it turns out, I could have left the filters and waterfall running, but then I don't want to be out there in the freezing cold trying to shut down a pond.

Don't worry about it, they'll live. Once you've stopped feeding them, you've stopped feeding them.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
I know there are folks on here who'll disagree, but I'm with Morewater on this. Once I stop feeding them, that's the way it is until spring. (y) BTW, I'm about 50 miles east of him, so much the same weather conditions.
John

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Should also have added; WATER temperature is what affects feeding, and that can be quite a bit cooler than the air!
John

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I am one of those mentioned that disagree. Feeding response in fish is based on metabolic rate which, in turn, is based on water temperature. Although it is important to know water temperature, it is MORE important to observe fish behavior. If your fish display signs of actively searching for food, by all means feed them. A calendar has no practical application in fish husbandry. If "If they're hungry, they'll find something in there to eat" were totally true then there would be no reason to feed them at any other time of the year either. It has been shown that even at 34F carp(Koi) and Goldfish will still periodically graze.
Bottom line---if they are hungry feed them, but prudently..

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
As it turns out, I could have left the filters and waterfall running, but then I don't want to be out there in the freezing cold trying to shut down a pond.

Same here. Rushed to get it all shut down before we had an expected 6"-10" snowfall. After that melted, we've had warmer temps (40°s and a few 50°s), and no snow. Could've kept the bog filtering and waterfall going a while longer, but oh well. Just like you said, better than doing it when it's freezing cold out.

Smaug

God makes perfect. I just dug the hole
Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm in the same boat. I have been feeding about once a day a small amount of wheat germ food. It's an experiance game at this point. Just watch the weather forecast and take note of what the water temp does with air temp. I know my water temp doesn't drop below feeding temp til the air temp is below 40 for 2 or 3 days. I anticipate feeding for about the next 5 days. This happens alot in my area so I'm pretty good at anticipating! I'm not comfortable not feeding them when the water temps are above 50 for a week or so. They need the food to avoid burning through fat reserves if the winter goes into freeze mode and stays there.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I'm a sucker for those big, beady eyes. If they are at the surface, looking to be fed I toss in a handful of pellets. Then I walk away! haha! Some days I turn around slowly, sure they will all be following me right up on the patio!

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I had all most stopped feeding with the colder water coming on , then we had a week in the 70s and I picked up the feeding my fish were hitting the top of the water hard

I'm going to start tapering the food off again

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
A lot probably depends on WHERE you live. A pond in zone 7 or 8 would probably warm up faster than one in zone 4. At this time of year, our sun is so low on the horizon that little if any light hits the pond. As a result, our air temperature can hit 55 or so, but the water stays at 45.
John

Smaug

God makes perfect. I just dug the hole
Reaction score
Country
United States
Sad thing is I've stopped and started feeding twice so far this fall! I have had water temps dip below 40 once for a about a week and 45f for a bit more then that. This isn't the first time though, just gotta be dilgent.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
FYI--What one source has to say:
"The common carp attains a better growth at 20 to 28C. With a temperature reduction to 13-14C food intake and digestion are poorer. A further reduction of water temperature to 7 - 8C leads to an even lower consumption of food. Thus, a reduction in temperature is closely associated with a drop in intensity of feeding and consequently growth rate. At a temperature of 1 - 2C carp enters a state of little activity, lying in the deeper parts of the wintering ponds, and refusing to feed at all."
Pond Fisheries--F Martyshev

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I shut off the aerator and stopped feeding about 3 1/2 weeks ago. The pond actually iced over. That was short lived. About 4 days or so ago, I noticed my fish were very active, and hanging out near the top. I got some food, and they boiled the water, eating. I couldn't believe how hungry they were.
Generally, when I stop feeding, I am done until spring. This isn't a normal year. I am glad I started feeding again.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I'm in a similar situation except I shut my main filter down almost 4 weeks ago with a temp of 49 degrees. It has slowly climbed. This morning, 4 weeks later, the temp is 62. I'm amazed. I have my Savio skimmer going which will go all winter long .... but if I feed them mildly now with non protein food, won't I still have an ammonia build up? Even 3 times a week, lightly? I don't think the Savio with take care of much ammonia. Currently all testing levels are perfect. HELLLPPPP !!!!

Ask a Question