Its acctually warmer in my pond than it is outside

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Brrrr the cold winter weather has at last made it down to the south west of the UK !!!!....
Up until last night/this morning the cold has missed us and we have been basking in relatively warm weather , last night however we watched in amazement as the TFH Malibu remote pond thermometer recorded the pond and air temperature .
It was amazing to watch we dropped from 6c to 0c in record time air wise but in the pond we opnly lost .4c the pond dropping from 8.0c to 7.6c as the freezing weather came down from the north ..
There is a thing to be said about policarbonate roofing sheets as they do indeed keep the majority of the cold off the pond and I will recomend its use to anyone with a pond that has a straight edge so that it can lay flat across its edge but at the same time allowing for air exchange allowing the pond to gass off
As an example I'll use a fellow Plymouth and District koi keepers society member and good friends ponds temperature reading reported to me yesterday by text.
Lee our friend wants to come over to look at the three new books I got from Val for Christmas , I'll add here that we are at a higher elevation that he is thus its colder where we are than where he is.
In conversation I reported our pond temperature to him which yesterday was 8.0c and he texted back his own uncovered pond temperature which at the time was 1c , as such you can see the major difference between the two ponds , our own being protected by the policarbonate roofing sheets is balmy compaired to his own pond.
Our pond is covered by three double thickness roofing sheets that is the equivulent of double glazing .
With the filter housing being covered by Quad thickness policarbonate roofing sheets , those plus the insulation on the pond and around the filterhousing they do a damn good job of keeping the cold out .

Dave

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Dave, what size are your ponds? I have a 10'X10' & an 11'X13'. both are raised ponds, looking at flat coverings vs putting hoops and putting plastic sheeting.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Mrschem My pond is 4 .5ft in depth 7ft in diameter 21 ft in circumference the policarbonate roofing sheets are about 10ft by 4ft which would suite your 10x10 pond not the 11x13 unless you find a way around this .
However as you know my pond has insulation and is then covered in decking as is the filter housing which is again insulated and is also topped by policarbonate roofing sheets all in all even at -15c the pond stays around 7c

Dave

Ask a Question