It's going to be a bad fish year

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5b
I shut my pond down two weeks ago. Tonight I went out and there were 15 -20 dead goldfish floating that weren't there yesterday. If they are dying now, I hate to think of what will happen over winter. Any ideas of what to do? The water is 40 degrees. Kind of feel like letting everything die and start over in spring.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I shut my pond down two weeks ago. Tonight I went out and there were 15 -20 dead goldfish floating that weren't there yesterday. If they are dying now, I hate to think of what will happen over winter. Any ideas of what to do? The water is 40 degrees. Kind of feel like letting everything die and start over in spring.
Need lots more details; shut down how? Aeration? Pump/waterfall still working? Gallonage and number of fish + sizes? Any additives since you shut down? Need water param readings; use only liquid test kits as the strips are notoriously inaccurate. Include KH. Any runoff get into the pond? Depth of pond? Any sudden/severe temp swings in the past two weeks? Accumlation at the bottom of any organic debris? There's probably more, but that should help getting started in figuring out what may be happening.

smt2b-1.gif

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5b
Need lots more details; shut down how? Aeration? Pump/waterfall still working? Gallonage and number of fish + sizes? Any additives since you shut down? Need water param readings; use only liquid test kits as the strips are notoriously inaccurate. Include KH. Any runoff get into the pond? Depth of pond? Any sudden/severe temp swings in the past two weeks? Accumlation at the bottom of any organic debris? There's probably more, but that should help getting started in figuring out what may be happening.

View attachment 144856
The pond is 25x35 with a 3 foot wide plant shelf and the average depth would be about 24 inches. Shelf is 12 inches deep and the rest about 30 inches. I have 1 15 inch koi , one 8 inch koi and an unknown number of comets remaining. There had been probably 75 of them of various sizes Pulled the two 4,000gph pumps from the skimmer, these feed the stream and waterfall. I have two small 550 gph pumps on each end of the pond on the plant shelf as well as air stones to agitate the surface. There are two pond breathers also that i just plugged in earlier this week. I have had the pond for 14 years so it isn't the first time I have done this same process. I always know that i will lose a couple comets over winter but winter isn't here yet. I will test the water after work and report values. The API kit i have doesn't have KH. There are leaves that have blown in since i pulled the pumps but mother nature has given us some pretty good winds the last couple of weeks. I will work on scooping them out and tossing frogs back into the pond tomorrow when i am off of work. As far as temp swings, it is fall in Wisconsin and temp swings are what happen but nothing out of the ordinary.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
The pond is 25x35 with a 3 foot wide plant shelf and the average depth would be about 24 inches. Shelf is 12 inches deep and the rest about 30 inches. I have 1 15 inch koi , one 8 inch koi and an unknown number of comets remaining. There had been probably 75 of them of various sizes Pulled the two 4,000gph pumps from the skimmer, these feed the stream and waterfall. I have two small 550 gph pumps on each end of the pond on the plant shelf as well as air stones to agitate the surface. There are two pond breathers also that i just plugged in earlier this week. I have had the pond for 14 years so it isn't the first time I have done this same process. I always know that i will lose a couple comets over winter but winter isn't here yet. I will test the water after work and report values. The API kit i have doesn't have KH. There are leaves that have blown in since i pulled the pumps but mother nature has given us some pretty good winds the last couple of weeks. I will work on scooping them out and tossing frogs back into the pond tomorrow when i am off of work. As far as temp swings, it is fall in Wisconsin and temp swings are what happen but nothing out of the ordinary.
on first blush, everything looks fine. I'll be interested in the water parameters. The KH measure will tell you how well you can keep the pH from crashing (this might have happened but can't see an immediate cause from everything you've said so far). I don't think you're overstocked, you have adequate water movement and aeration, aren't feeding (right?) and your fish/pond should be more or less dormant (as mine is here in Mich). Again, water parameters to see if anything is obviously amiss.

Btw, did you see any bad/strange fish behavior before this happened?

Sorry for your losses and current situation. Hopefully I or others here can help stop the carnage.

stm.gif

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5b
on first blush, everything looks fine. I'll be interested in the water parameters. The KH measure will tell you how well you can keep the pH from crashing (this might have happened but can't see an immediate cause from everything you've said so far). I don't think you're overstocked, you have adequate water movement and aeration, aren't feeding (right?) and your fish/pond should be more or less dormant (as mine is here in Mich). Again, water parameters to see if anything is obviously amiss.

Sorry for your losses and current situation. Hopefully I or others here can help stop the carnage.

View attachment 144867
They haven't been fed in at least two months. I very seldom feed the fish, there is plenty for them to find in the pond. They usually get something when the grandkids are here. The fish have been more hanging out and not moving around which is expected behavior with the cold water. It is almost easier seeing the heron eating them rather than just this mass die off. I will have to find a kh test, mine does ph, ammonia, nitrites and phosphate.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5b
They haven't been fed in at least two months. I very seldom feed the fish, there is plenty for them to find in the pond. They usually get something when the grandkids are here. The fish have been more hanging out and not moving around which is expected behavior with the cold water. It is almost easier seeing the heron eating them rather than just this mass die off. I will have to find a kh test, mine does ph, ammonia, nitrites and phosphate.

View attachment 144867
PH is 7.5, Nitrites and phosphate are zero. Unfortunately, ammonia is .25 and I know it should be zero. I was planning on scooping the leaves that have blown in tomorrow in between work calls, (don't tell them they are paying me and i am working on my pond) but wondering if i should pump out a few inches of water and refill the pond. I have well water so i don't need to worry about treating but it would be warmer than the pond water is now. Is that something i should consider doing? It's supposed to be a tropical 37 degrees tomorrow, just perfect for dunking hands in cold water and fighting a stiff garden hose.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5b

View attachment 144867
see my reply on the wrong response. Sometimes i am so dumb.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
PH is 7.5, Nitrites and phosphate are zero. Unfortunately, ammonia is .25 and I know it should be zero. I was planning on scooping the leaves that have blown in tomorrow in between work calls, (don't tell them they are paying me and i am working on my pond) but wondering if i should pump out a few inches of water and refill the pond. I have well water so i don't need to worry about treating but it would be warmer than the pond water is now. Is that something i should consider doing? It's supposed to be a tropical 37 degrees tomorrow, just perfect for dunking hands in cold water and fighting a stiff garden hose.
I assume you usually use the well water to top off, so no issues there and the water may be colder than you think, but put it in slowly and it'll alter the temp hardly at all. You've got a big pond, so more latitude.

pH is fine but do you know what it usually is? That is, if there was a crash (doesn't sound like it, though) it might have been in the 8s (my well water is about 8.4, though with time, the pond comes down what with organics, rain, and plants). Take the hose inside for the night and let it warm before you use it. Sounds like a lot of water, though, coming in and going out. I think Prime is supposed to bind ammonia, so google that and see if it might be quicker/easier. I've never used it; @WaterGardener I think is the one to ask.

smt1.gif

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
see my reply on the wrong response. Sometimes i am so dumb.
not sure to what you're referring, snoozer; hopefully I added something of value in my above response. If not, clarify what I'm missing. And we all can make mistakes; it's what we do when we realize this that counts! We'll help you get this sorted.

smt2b-1.gif

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5b
I assume you usually use the well water to top off, so no issues there and the water may be colder than you think, but put it in slowly and it'll alter the temp hardly at all. You've got a big pond, so more latitude.

pH is fine but do you know what it usually is? That is, if there was a crash (doesn't sound like it, though) it might have been in the 8s (my well water is about 8.4, though with time, the pond comes down what with organics, rain, and plants). Take the hose inside for the night and let it warm before you use it. Sounds like a lot of water, though, coming in and going out. I think Prime is supposed to bind ammonia, so google that and see if it might be quicker/easier. I've never used it; @WaterGardener I think is the one to ask.

View attachment 144878
PH is usually 7.5 to 8 so not much change there. I will google to see what I can use, it not a water change is easy, sort of. I have a pond vac so can vacuum and dump water as well as sucking out leaves. Running the hose, it adds back about an inch an hour.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5b
not sure to what you're referring, snoozer; hopefully I added something of value in my above response. If not, clarify what I'm missing. And we all can make mistakes; it's what we do when we realize this that counts! We'll help you get this sorted.

View attachment 144879
no, it's me. I replied on one of my responses. Your help is so much appreciated.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
PH is usually 7.5 to 8 so not much change there. I will google to see what I can use, it not a water change is easy, sort of. I have a pond vac so can vacuum and dump water as well as sucking out leaves. Running the hose, it adds back about an inch an hour.
I really wouldn't think leaves, in almost any quantity would foul the water that quickly, though maybe you have a certain type of leaf that might be toxic? Take a look around and see if any of the trees might be problematic, but if you've been doing this for years, hard to think that is an issue. Maybe there's something new? And I really lean toward maybe runoff putting some chem into your water. Had any aerial sprayings from fields nearby or neighbors? Wrong time of year, I'd think, but just thinking out loud here...

another thought; does your pond bottom have a layer of mulm or a lot of debris already? Again, sounds like you keep up with it, but thought I'd ask...

st1o.gif

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
and your ammonia is up prob because you had dead fish floating in it. Obviously, water change or chem binding will help. .25 ammonia WiLL affect the other fish, but still have to figure out why the onset and quantity died that quickly, esp if you didn't see any symptoms.

stp.gif

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5b

View attachment 144878
I ordered some AmQuel which binds ammonia. Still going to do a water change to hopefully by more time until it arrives. Once again, thanks for the help.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5b
I really wouldn't think leaves, in almost any quantity would foul the water that quickly, though maybe you have a certain type of leaf that might be toxic? Take a look around and see if any of the trees might be problematic, but if you've been doing this for years, hard to think that is an issue. Maybe there's something new? And I really lean toward maybe runoff putting some chem into your water. Had any aerial sprayings from fields nearby or neighbors? Wrong time of year, I'd think, but just thinking out loud here...

another thought; does your pond bottom have a layer of mulm or a lot of debris already? Again, sounds like you keep up with it, but thought I'd ask...

View attachment 144880
There is probably some muck on the bottom. I messed up my rotator cuff and i wasn't able to clean as completely as I should have. PT has the arm working better so i will head out and try to make things right.

Ask a Question